TopDrawerSoccer Facebook TopDrawerSoccer Twitter The 91st Minute RSS

Champions League needs to learn from the Super Bowl

Written by Reshad Bahadori

This Sunday, at 6:29pm ET (yes, :29, way to go NBC, and you wonder why you are the worst sports network), all Americans will be glued to their TVs watching the Super Bowl. Correction, almost all Americans. Many wives/girlfriends will be in the other room watching housewives buy things, smash them, and then buy better things. Or, the Puppy Bowl, but who doesn’t love the Puppy Bowl? Those puppies are damn cute, and when they push the ball…just straight murdering the cuteness.

Unfortunately, the actual game of football is only played for roughly 2% of the 4hrs you will be watching (I did a study on this during college). The other 98% will be filled with commercials. But, American advertisers/brands are smart. Everyone in America is watching >> I should put my best foot forward >> enjoy our hilarious, high-quality advertisements with Jerry Seinfeld or Kate Upton.

Europeans haven’t figured this out. All their commercials still look like they were filmed with cellphones in the 1990s. The only good ads during Champions League come from American brands (Nike/Adidas). Hopefully they will be watching, and at least start filming their ads with the new iPhone instead of their bootleg euro-Nokia.

The best bad commercial after the jump.


Tags:  , ,
3 Comments
  • guest

    Is this guy serious, with soccer and especially european soccer, the event is what people come to watch not the commercials, in europe when the commericals come on most people get up and leave the room to do other things, they are there to watch the game, maybe you need to question what is going on on the field in the superbowl if the commercials are the biggest attraction

  • guest

    Is this guy serious, with soccer and especially european soccer, the event is what people come to watch not the commercials, in europe when the commericals come on most people get up and leave the room to do other things, they are there to watch the game, maybe you need to question what is going on on the field in the superbowl if the commercials are the biggest attraction

  • cinedax

    The only reason why Americans actually watch the Superbowl is for commercials and the interval show

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. ">About Us
    2. "><%=frontendMessages.getProperty("page.terms.title")%>
    3. "><%=frontendMessages.getProperty("page.privacy.title")%>
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. "><%=frontendMessages.getProperty("page.contact.title")%>
    7. "><%=frontendMessages.getProperty("page.ncaa.title")%>
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 111 West Ocean Blvd., Suite 1750, Long Beach, CA 90802
      © <%=dateYearFormat.format(today)%> Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.