Welcome to our season-opening 91st Minute Hot/Not List where we take the temperature of college soccer and other random stuff. Read on, it’ll all make sense … in most cases.
1. Upsets: College soccer’s opening weekend saw top teams fall like autumn (see what I did there?). Down went North Carolina, Notre Dame, Florida, Memphis and West Virginia. We’re happy to report that the 91st Minute is still standing, however.
2. The defending champs: That would be Stanford. The Cardinal beat Santa Clara like they had something to prove – 6-1. Yeah, and the Broncos are no slouches.
3. Penn State: First, Maya Hayes was anointed the Hermann Trophy favorite by our 5v5 panel, then the Nittany Lions opened with two victories while playing WITHOUT Hayes. Oh, and one of those wins came against No. 11 Virginia. Not bad.
4. Condoleezza Rice: The former Secretary of State (Google her) became one of the first two women admitted to the previously all-male Augusta National Golf Club (Google it. They like, play The Masters there and stuff … it’s a golf tournament).
5. Flash mobbing on airplanes: I’m not going to link to it because it has some Kanye West adult language, but if you promise to watch it with the volume down I recommend checking out the viral video of Kanye West’s dancers flash mobbing on a plane to his song “Runaway.” It’s pretty much as cool as it sounds.
1. Mother nature: She’s unpredictable, and we never really know what she’s doing (up there), but this past weekend she reared her head and made ‘meatloaf’ out of some matches along the way – Florida State-Marquette, UCLA-Connecticut, Navy-Maryland and Texas A&M (maroon and white game) were a few of the programs that had matches either postponed or canceled due to lightning in the area.
2. North Carolina’s health: Tough start for the Tar Heels. Megan Brigman went down early with an injury and was replaced by Brooke Elby … who then also went down. Oh yeah, the Tar Heels lost 1-0 to Portland.
3. Standard team photos: The next time you get together for a group photo you better say more than ‘cheese.’ The likes of Washington, Michigan and Ohio have raised the bar on team photos and I’m not sure we ever go back to Normalville.
4. Augusta National: Sure, the club admitted its first female members which sounds great until you realize that it’s 2012. The only group more behind the times is …
5. Men’s Soccer: What’s taking so long?! Let’s start the season already!