In a poll conducted by ESPN, Leo Messi was voted the seventh most popular athlete in the United States. He is the first soccer player to break into the top 10. Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning and LeBron James were the top three. The most promising part of the poll is that,
“the 12- to 24-year-old demographic, proclaim the Barcelona star to be the fourth-favorite athlete in the United States (the study tracks the fan base sizes and demographic trends for all major sports through a monthly telephone survey of 1,500 Americans ages 12 and over).”
Cristiano Ronaldo came in at #21 and Beckham at #47.
FIFA has released this year-ending video of 12 moments that defined 2012.
A few moments it doesn’t include, but should:
1. Scud missiles, flares and smoke bombs being thrown onto the pitch by aggressive fans.
2. Beckham rolling up to the Olympics in a speedboat with the torch. Swag.
3. DANCING LADY.
Oh, yes, we got Sydney Leroux on camera … and this time she knew she was on camera (we’ve put the stalking behind us).
The UCLA alum and US Soccer starlet chatted with us alongside college stars from No. 1 Stanford and No. 2 UCLA this past weekend.
Hear what these ladies have to say about age-old debates, like: cleats or heels? Beckham or Ronaldo? REAL TALK!
So here’s what we know: Beckham will play a part in the Olympic opening ceremonies on Friday. Here’s what we don’t: what in the name of Burger King will it be?
Here’s a telling clue straight from Beckham:
“It is some kind of role in the opening ceremony which I am honoured to be involved in because obviously I was involved in the start process with this seven years ago …”
Yup, that’s it. Thanks Beckham. He’s left me no choice. Here are my best few guesses at what the role will be:
1. England’s flag bearer. This would be the least exciting development, especially since the whole thing is being kept a secret.
2. The Olympic mascot. Maybe it’s being kept a secret because we won’t actually see Beckham. He’ll be busy rocking the costume of either Wenlock or Mandeville.
3. Live performance with the Spice Girls. Can we get a reunion please!? The world has been asking for this since … this post. Who wouldn’t want to see Beck Spice join the crew?
In this week’s edition of “House of Futbol,” where we give you a dose of the best blogs around the web, rare video footage of Pele emerges while soccer legends get suited up in today’s gear.
Beckham holds the Stanley Cup with a Captain Morgan mustache – (Ministry of Soccer)
Pele’s Debut for New York Cosmos – (The Free Beer Movement)
What soccer gear would past legends be wearing today? – (Soccer Cleats 101)
President Obama embarrasses Beckham at the White House, while Ronaldo says he’s better than Messi. Wow. Now, that’s REAL TALK!
Check out last week’s episode: “Manchester Drama” here.