In a poll conducted by ESPN, Leo Messi was voted the seventh most popular athlete in the United States. He is the first soccer player to break into the top 10. Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning and LeBron James were the top three. The most promising part of the poll is that,
“the 12- to 24-year-old demographic, proclaim the Barcelona star to be the fourth-favorite athlete in the United States (the study tracks the fan base sizes and demographic trends for all major sports through a monthly telephone survey of 1,500 Americans ages 12 and over).”
Cristiano Ronaldo came in at #21 and Beckham at #47.
10. Elastico – Tried it once…tripped over my own feet and face-planted.
9. Nutmeg – I have been involved in 1 or 2 nutmeg experiences. I was never doing the ‘megging’.
8. Pele Flick – I fainted just watching this.
7. Seal Dribble – I started running at my own goal because I couldn’t see.
6. The Runaround – I found myself running around in circles.
5. Rabona – See number 10.
4. Marseille Turn – Turn successful…just not with the ball.
3. Bicycle Kick – Pretty sure I broke a rib trying this.
2. The Stepover – Everyone started laughing at me for some reason.
1. The Cruyff Turn – I did this once. I was playing FIFA, but I still did it.