Text size

Dartmouth Downs Iona, 3-0

Published: August 29, 2016

HANOVER, NH – In their first ever meeting, the Iona College women’s soccer program fell to Dartmouth by a final of 3-0.  It is the Gaels second consecutive loss to an Ivy League opponent, and the defeat pushes the Gaels to 0-4-0 after the opening two weeks of competition.  It is the first time since 2013 that the Maroon & Gold have gone pointless in their first four games.

Iona started the game off strong with a dangerous scoring opportunity in the fourth minute.  JuniorCharlotte Stuart hurled a throw-in into the box that found the head of sophomore Megan Wood.  The rookie midfielder headed a shot on net, forcing Dartmouth’s senior goalkeeper Casey Cousineau to make a quick-reflex save.

At 8:42 the Big Green got their first corner opportunity, but it was quelled by the Gaels defense.  Just a few moments later, Dartmouth rushed the Maroon & Gold defense again and forced junior goalie Tiffany Martinez to punch a dangerous cross out of play.

In the eighteenth minute, the Big Green got on the scoreboard off an Iona defensive miscue.  Big Green freshman forward Charlotte Etsy took advantage of the mental lapse, taking her time and hitting a one-timer into the lower right corner of the cage.

Three minutes later, Dartmouth once again pounced on Iona in their own zone when junior Brittany Champagne stole an attempted clear and fed it quickly to senior Meredith Gurnee, who then slipped a shot by Martinez to give the home team a 2-0 lead.

Freshman Zoe Enright, who scored Dartmouth’s game-winning goal against MAAC rival Marist just a few days prior, placed more pressure on Martinez and the Gaels defense in the 25th minute with a dangerous close-range left-footed attempt.  Iona was able to come up with a much needed save to keep the score at 2-0.

The Gaels remained within striking distance thanks to a strong save from Martinez with 10 minutes to go in the opening half.  Off Dartmouth’s fifth corner of the game, the Gaels junior goalie defended her line with a hockey-esq sliding kick save off a dangerous shot from freshman Hayley Soriano.

With five minutes to go in the first, Jaramillo was able to create some space and fire a long distance shot on goal for Iona’s second shot of the contest.  Over the course of the first 45 minutes, Dartmouth outshot Iona 8-2, and had an advantageous 5-0 edge in corner kick opportunities.

Ninety seconds into the second half and Iona had a semi-rush in the offense end after a foul on Dartmouth in the defensive zone.  Sophomore Kiri Dale took a free kick and directed it toward the box, but it was deflected away the Big Green defense.

Enright had her second solid chance to score at the 47:06 mark; she was able to break away from away from the Iona backline and laced a line drive shot that Martinez caught and secured.

Dartmouth scored its third of the game in the 54thminute via the right foot of senior Holly Patterson, assisted by freshman Charlotte Esty.  She was able to chase a ball down that appeared to be passing by the baseline; she caged it, and directed a precise pass to Patterson who was camped out in front of net to put it home.

Iona attempted to answer quickly just a minute later with its third shot on goal.  Jaramillo powered a groundball from just outside the box that forced Cousineau to make a diving save to her left to preserve the shutout.  The Maroon & Gold then attempted their first and second corners of the contest, but came away with no greater scoring chance.

A second offensive flurry came with 22 minutes remaining in the second half.  Dale hit a rising shot that forced Cousineau to make a sprawling save; the goal-saving tip then ricocheted off the crossbar and out of bounds.

Junior Christine Rebus registered a shot on goal with roughly 15 minutes remaining, taking the ball in the defensive end, dribbling it up to just outside the Big Green box before letting loose a swerving attempt that was gathered by the Big Green.

Dartmouth outshot Iona 18-5, and held a 7-3 corner kick opportunity advantage.  Martinez made five saves in net for the Gaels, while Cousineau held the Maroon & Gold scoreless with her four saves.  Dale, Rebus, Wood and Jaramillo each recorded a shot for Iona.

With the loss, the Gaels record stands at 0-4-0, and Dartmouth improved to 2-0-0. 

Iona returns to action this Friday (Sept. 2) at home on Mazzella Field against NJIT.  Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 PM.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.