Lamar's five-game winning steak snapped
Oct. 21, 2012
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – The Lamar Lady Cardinals became the first Southland Conference team to score against Stephen F. Austin this season, but it wasn’t enough in a 3-1 loss to the Ladyjacks in a women’s soccer game Sunday.
Jannet Hernandez scored for Lamar on a penalty kick with 16:58 remaining in the second half, to cut the Lamar deficit to 2-1, but the Lady Cardinals (9-8-1 overall, 5-2-0 Southland) were unable to get the equalizer.
“I am very proud of the way we played today,” Lamar coach Orlando Cervantes said. “We dominated in stretches, but our depth hurt us today. We were missing some key players today because of illness and injury.”
Laura Sadler scored twice for Stephen F. Austin (14-3-0, 7-0-0), which wrapped up the regular-season title. Kylie Louw scored an insurance goal with 5:09 remaining to seal the win. The loss snapped Lamar’s school-record five-game winning streak.
Despite the loss, Lamar can clinch second place with a win or tie when it hosts Sam Houston State in the regular-season finale at 7 p.m. Friday. A second-place finish would give the Lady Cardinals a bye into the semifinals of next month’s Southland Conference Tournament at McNeese State.
For ticket information, call (409) 880-1715, or visit www.LamarCardinals.com
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: August 2-8
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Heartbreaking loss ends era for US Soccer
- Menace win USL League Two title
- Men’s DI internationals to watch in 2021
- 2021 Club Soccer Summer Postseason Coverage
- Transfers to watch in DI women’s season
- Commitments: A goalkeeper's first choice
- 2022 Men’s Recruiting Rankings: August
- Surf Cup recap - Winners + Standouts
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s