Text size

Lobos Remain Undefeated at Home, Tie 2-2

Published: October 22, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. --- The University of New Mexico men's soccer team continued its undefeated streak at home on Saturday afternoon as the squad played to a double-overtime draw in its third straight overtime game. New Mexico tied visiting Marshall by a score of 2-2 at the UNM Soccer Complex.

The tie marks the Lobos' first of the season and brings UNM's record to 7-6-1 (1-3-1 C-USA) while Marshall is now 6-8-1 (1-3-1 C-USA). The two teams remain tied in the C-USA standings.

Redshirt-sophomore Matt Dorsey netted the Lobos' first goal of the game in the 52nd minute to give UNM an advantage before senior Chris Wehan scored the second in the 70th.

Saturday's match also marks the first time this season that the Lobos have scored first, but not claimed the victory.

"This was a tough one today," head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. "We had a lead, 1-0, 2-1, and we slipped up. We made some mental mistakes … We only have ourselves to blame.

"Once again, for the vast majority of the game, we played well … I'm proud of our guys' fight, it's been a tough road with three overtime games in eight days, they're exhausted, but we have three games left including two more at home."

New Mexico was dominant throughout the first half of play, posting seven shots, two on goal, to just three shots for the Thundering Herd in the scoreless frame.

UNM had a few opportunities in the first half but failed to score, sending the teams into the second period tied 0-0.

In the second period, the Lobos gained the 1-0 advantage when Dorsey, who received the ball on a swift passing session by junior Sam Gleadle and senior Chris Wehan, got the ball at the left center of the top of the box and fired into the top right corner of the net. The goal marked Dorsey's first of the season.

The Herd responded in the 60th minute, however, when Jacob Purpero fired a shot that was deflected by the Lobo defense and soared high into the net, just out of junior keeper Jason Beaulieu's grasp, 1-1.

In the 70th minute, Wehan came through for the Lobos with his fourth goal of the season to once again put New Mexico on top. Wehan received a pass from fellow senior Chris Gurule in the box where he fired a point-blank shot into the top right of the net to claim a 2-1 advantage.

The game looked to be headed toward another win in the books for the Lobos until, with just over five minutes left in regulation, Marshall's Rudy Erwin scored another equalizer for the Herd to make it 2-2 and send the squads into overtime.

Both teams battled throughout both overtime periods but failed to net a gamewinner.

Overall New Mexico outshot Marshall 27-9 including a 13-4 shot margin in the second period. UNM also dominated in corner kicks, notching 10 to just three for Marshall. Of UNM's shots, nine of them landed on goal, led by Wehan who shot three and Dorsey who fired two. Just five of Marshall's shots landed on target.

Defensively, junior Jason Beaulieu registered all 110 minutes between the posts for the Lobos and tallied three saves while Marshall's Trevor Clemens racked up seven in his 110 minutes.

UNM returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 26 as the team travels to UAB for another Conference USA match. The Lobos have just three contests left in the regular season, all C-USA matches. The team will host the top team in the C-USA standings, South Carolina, on Sunday, Oct. 30 before facing Old Dominion on Nov. 4 in its final game of the season.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.