NEW ROCHELLE, NY – Valeria Pascuet (Bunuel, Navarra, Spain/San Fermin Ikastola) scored twice for the second time this season as the Rider University women’s soccer team defeated Iona, 3-2, on the road Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Broncs improve to 6-4-2 (2-2-1 MAAC), while the Gaels slip to 2-10-1 (0-4-1 MAAC).
A wild first 10 minutes saw three goals scored, all in span of 65 seconds. Pascuet scored directly off a corner kick at the 8:52 mark. Just 18 seconds later, Sam Picinich (North Bellmore, NY/Mepham) stole the ball away from Iona and fed Kourtney Cunningham (Whitehall, NY/Whitehall) for another goal, staking Rider to a 2-0 lead. But 47 seconds after that, Iona’s Faith Preziosi finished a Ciara Guglielmo assist to cut the Broncs’ lead to 2-1.
In the 52nd minute, Preziosi finished another Guglielmo feed from 25 yards out to tie the game at 2-2. But this time, the Broncs had the answer, as Pascuet scored off a free kick from 20 yards out in the 60th minute for the game winner.
Quotes and Notes
“Was a tense game that could have gone very differently, but credit to the Iona players for demonstrating a lot of character to get themselves back in the game. For us, it was good to see how we controlled a possible frustration situation and focused on the only thing that was important, which was to get the win. Really proud of how we dealt with that. Our bench was again superb with their energy and many players were called upon to step up and played a critical role today.” - Rider Head Coach Drayson Hounsome
- Rider now owns a 14-6-2 advantage in the all-time against the Gaels, including a six-game winning streak.
- Rider was playing without center back Niamh Cashin (Nottingham, England/All Saints Academy) for the second-straight game during the freshman’s stint with the England U-19 National Team’s UEFA Qualifying.
- Rider scored first for the fifth time this season and is now 4-1-0 when tallying the game’s first goal.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Cunningham's goal was her sixth of the year, setting a new personal single-season career high, and gives her 50 career points. She’s just the eighth Bronc in program history to compile 50 points. Her 18 career goals are just one behind former teammates Ellie Smith and Michelle Iacono, and are ninth-most in program history.
- Pascuet also has six goals on the season to go along with a team-high four assists for 16 points. She entered the season with two goals and 11 points through two years in the Cranberry and White.
- The assist was Picinich’s third of the year.
- Rider sophomore goalkeeper Carmen Carbonell (Valencia, Spain/Guadalaviar School) made three saves to secure the victory in net.
- Rider enjoyed a 17-12 edge in shots, including an 9-5 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Broncs took nine corner kicks to the Gaels’ two.