POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – Hailey Russell (Riverside, NJ/Riverside) headed in the game-winning goal in the 84th minute as the Rider University women’s soccer team defeated Marist, 1-0, on the road Saturday night. With the win, the Broncs (6-2-3, 3-0-1 MAAC) remain unbeaten in league play and have won three-straight games, while the Red Foxes slip to 4-7-1 (1-2-1 MAAC).
The Broncs nearly scored in the 42nd minute, with Daiana Frizon David (Quilombo, Brazil/Jurema Savi Milanez [Monroe College]) collecting a long pass into the box to lay it off for Niamh Cashin (Nottingham, England/All Saints Academy). But Cashin’s shot was knocked over the crossbar by Marist goalkeeper Natalie Kelchner to keep the game scoreless at the half.
Following 83 scoreless minutes, Nikki Arrington (Middleton, MA/Masconomet Regional) intercepted a Marist attempt to clear the ball from deep in the Broncs’ attacking third. Arrington trapped the ball, evaded a defender and curled a cross inside the box to find Russell making a run for the game-winning header inside the left post.
Quotes & Notes
“The defensive line and Carmen kept us in the game when Marist overran us in the opening 15 minutes of the game. Once again in the second half, we got into a great rhythm and created some good opportunities. So overall, a fantastic team performance against a tough Marist opponent. Great to see Hailey come on and hit the crossbar with a shot and then score the winner.” – Rider Head Coach Drayson Hounsome
- Rider cut Marist’s lead in the all-time series to 16-8-1.
- The Red Foxes had won five-straight over the Broncs, dating back to 2015.
- Rider’s last win in Poughkeepsie came in 2004. Marist had won the last seven meetings at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field.
- Rider is unbeaten through four MAAC games for the first time since 2016, when the Broncs won their first four against league foes. The Broncs have never gone five games unbeaten to begin league play.
- Goalkeeper Carmen Carbonell (Valencia, Spain/Guadalaviar School), Valeria Pascuet (Bunuel, Navarra, Spain/San Fermin Ikastola), Camryn Dees (Pickerington, OH/Pickerington H.S. North), Emily Curteis (Llanfyllin, Wales/Liverpool John Moores), Teresa Richardson (Las Vegas, NV/Bishop Gorman), Cameron Santers (Wayne, NJ/Wayne Hills) and Niamh Cashin (Nottingham, England/All Saints Academy) each played all 90 minutes.
- The Broncs return to action Wednesday, when they play host to Saint Peter’s. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. on ESPN3.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Carbonell made four saves to earn her fifth shutout of the season and the 10th in her career. Prior to this season, she’d had no more than three clean sheets in a single season.
- Russell’s goal was her third of the season and the first since scoring in back-to-back games to open her collegiate career on Aug. 23 and 28. Her three goals are second-most on the team behind Sofia Soares (Sao Paolo, Brazil/St. Nicholas) and Makenzie Rodrigues (Seattle, WA/Forest Ridge), who’ve both scored four goals.
- The assist was the first in Arrington’s two seasons at Rider.
- Rider took a 15-14 edge in shots, including a 6-5 edge in shots on goal.
- Marist took 10 corner kicks to the Broncs’ four.