Projecting the U.S. U17 qualifying roster
The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team faces World Cup qualifying in around two months. Slated to take place in Florida at the IMG Academy in May, the U.S. Soccer Federation has yet to announce who will coach the U.S. for this cycle.
Whoever ends up getting the job, it’s uncertain if players such as George Bello, Joe Scally, Giovanni Reyna or Gianluca Busio will be released by their respective clubs. For the purposes of this exercise, let’s assume that all four are in fact going to get called in by the yet to be named head coach.
The 2019 Generation adidas Cup will offer fringe players another chance, with the U.S. also reportedly taking a trip to Mexico at some point for preparations.
So what could the roster look like for qualifying? For the purposes of this exercise, let’s assume that none of Busio, Reyna or Bello would be released by their respective clubs. Below is a guess of what a 20-man roster could look like.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: July 19-25
- 2021 Club Soccer Summer Postseason Coverage
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Commitments: Choosing North Carolina
- Recruiting Views: Flurry of 2021 news
- IMG Academy rankings update recap
- Commitments: ACC addition for 2022
- 2021 Surf Cup Preview - New season
- Nationals Standouts: Tuesday’s Action
- Deciding on an Atlantic 10 program
Club Rankings HQ
- 2021 IMG Academy 150
- 2022 IMG Academy 150
- 2023 IMG Academy 150
- 2024 IMG Academy 150
- 2025 IMG Academy 150
- Regional Rankings
- Position Rankings
- Soccer Masters TeamRank Top 25