JERSEY CITY, N.J. – Andres Arcila scored twice and Danny Bartok netted a first-half winner to propel the Seton Hall men’s soccer team to a 3-1 victory at Saint Peter’s on Friday afternoon at Joseph Jarsochak Field. The contest marked the opener of the 2016 season for both squads.
Arcila (Cartagena, Colombia) got the scoring started early with a 15th minute goal, taking a feed from freshman Jonathan Jimenez (Cape Coral, Fla.) before slotting home the first goal of the campaign. Saint Peter’s equalized 16 minutes later, scoring off a set-piece at the 31-minute mark.
Eight minutes later, Brandon Sabinsky (Belle Mead, N.J.) made a huge run up the right side and sent in a cross that Bartok deflected home to allow SHU to re-take the lead. Arcila tacked on an insurance goal early in the second half when he converted a penalty after being fouled in the box.
Julian Spindler (Weiserbach, Germany) made the start in goal and notched two saves, both coming in a shutout second half. The Pirates improved to 2-2-1 in five season openers under head coach Gerson Echeverry.
After the Peacocks came up with a 31st minute equalizer, the Pirates struck for their second goal of the first half in the 39th minute. Sabinsky’s big run up the right flank led to a lofted cross into the box, and Bartok was able to fight through traffic for a deflection and beat the Saint Peter’s keeper. The Pirates would hold the lead they established at that point for the rest of the way.
15’ – SHU – Andres Arcila (1) took through ball from Jonathan Jimenez (1) on edge of penalty area and slid shot from the left side across the box into bottom right corner
31’ – SPU – Luke Fairlamb (1) curled shot from right side after scramble off corner kick
39’ – SHU – Danny Bartok (1) deflected cross after long run from Brandon Sabinsky (1) up right flank
56’ – SHU – Arcila (2) penalty kick, low shot left corner
Inside The Numbers
- The Pirates recorded a 14-7 edge in total shots and a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal
- The Hall doubled Saint Peter’s shot total in both halves, 6-3 in the first and 8-4 in the second
- Both sides generated four corner kicks
- Arcila led the Pirates with four shots (three on goal) while Bartok, Jimenez and Matheus Miranda (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) each recorded a pair and one on goal
News & Notes
- The Pirates improve to 27-11-4 all-time against Saint Peter’s in the programs’ first regular season meeting since 2012
- The Hall’s last victory in a season opener came in 2013 against Rhode Island; its last victory on the road in a season debut came in 2004 at Adelphi
- Arcila became the first Pirate to record multiple goals in a game since Victor Manosalvas on Sept. 14, 2014 vs. Princeton
- Five Pirates made their Seton Hall debut on Friday; Francisco Alderete (Salta, Argentina), Gaspar Jean Baptiste (Valley Stream, N.Y.) Jimenez, Jodan Kinoshi (Welwyn Garden City, England) and Miranda
- Bartok’s goal was the seventh of his career, while fellow senior Spindler picked up his 12th career victory
The Pirates will have a short turnaround before their home opener on Sunday, Aug. 28. The Hall will welcome Stony Brook to Owen T. Carroll Field for a 7 p.m. start. The contest will be broadcast live and FREE on the Pirate Sports Network.