West Palm Beach, Fla. – Barry University men’s soccer team defeated Palm Beach Atlantic 3-2 in overtime Wednesday evening, handing the Sailfish their first loss of the season.
The Buccaneers (3-4-0) are beginning to find their style in their best offensive performance of the year thus far and look like a team that is slowly gaining its confidence.
Thomas Coombes put the Bucs on the board early when he struck a cross from Joong Kim past Sailfish goalkeeper Strunk for the game’s first goal.
The Sailfish (7-1-0) answered with a goal of their own in the 22nd minute as Cameron Roberts snuck one past Fred Perez to even the match, 1-1.
Creating numerous chances in the first period, the Bucs capitalized once again just two minutes after the Sailfish evened the score.
Senior midfielder Houghton Kinsman put home his first goal of the season on Kim’s second assist of the game, lifting Barry to a 2-1 advantage at the half.
Palm Beach Atlantic showed that they were not going away, and just five minutes into the second period they tied the game at two. Kenny Hogg, the nation’s leading scorer, found the back of the net for the 15th time in the young season following the rebound on his initial shot to get the second attempt past Perez.
Neither team scored in the remaining 40 minutes of the second half. Although both had several opportunities, neither team capitalized.
Five minutes into the extra period, senior Joe Conkleton found Guilherme Oliveira in the middle of the field. Oliveira then turned his sights to Connor Randel.
The sophomore midfielder from Shreveport, Louisiana then made a move past one defender and struck a shot from roughly ten yards out and connected. Randel’s goal lifted the Bucs in their first overtime game of the season and his three goals are a team high thus far.
The Buccaneers, winners of their last two, return to conference action on Saturday when they travel to St. Petersburg, Fla. where they’ll battle against Eckerd College.
Goals by period 1 2 OT Tot
Barry 2 0 1 3
Palm Beach Atlantic. 1 1 0 2
1. 13:42 BUM Thomas Coombes (1) (Joong Kim) - Crossed in by 23, one-timer to the left post
2. 21:32 PBAM Cameron Roberts (2) (Evan Singlar) - Cross in from Singlar, one-timer past keeper
3. 23:23 BUM Houghton Kinsman (1) (Joong Kim;Patrick Drmola) - Cross from right side, touch across, worm burner to left post
4. 50:30 PBAM Kenny Hogg (15) (unassisted) - First shot deflected by keeper, rebound put back to right post
5. 95:22 BUM Connor Randel (3) (Guilherme Oliveira;Joe Conkleton) - Strike from 15 yards out, move past one defender to beat keeper
Shots: Barry 20, Palm Beach Atlantic 22
Saves: Barry 3 (Fred Perez 3), Palm Beach Atlantic 4 (Jonathan Strunk