Text size

Bulldogs Tie Nevada In Double-Overtime

Published: September 22, 2013

SPOKANE, Wash. -  The Gonzaga University women’s soccer team battled the University of Nevada for 110 minutes Sunday and despite the 29-8 lopsided edge in shots, the Bulldogs had to settle for a 0-0 double-overtime tie at the Gonzaga Soccer Field.

The Zags, whose match against the Wolfpack was their fourth in eight days, put their record at 3-4-1, while the Wolfpack grabbed their third tie of the season and are now 2-4-3 overall.

Gonzaga dominated the majority of the match, holding the 9-1 advantage in shots after the first half, the 21-8 edge after regulation and held the 8-0 advantage in overtime.

“The positive out of today is that we are getting a high number of opportunities and dangerous opportunities,” explained Gonzaga head coach Amy Edwards after the match. “We just have to be more efficient; we have to finish.”

After logging 100 minutes and entering the final 10 minute overtime period, the Zags didn’t come out tired, as some might have expected, they came out firing on all cylinders. Gonzaga put up all eight of its overtime shots in the final period; with seven of the shots at point-blank range inside 12-yards of goal.

Sophomore forward Heather Johnson had two superb chances within 20 seconds of each other. Johnson got a small window of space 7-yards from goal at 102:20 but her point-blank shot was saved by Nevada keeper Kelsey Quintos. Johnson found herself with the ball once again, this time 5-yards from goal, but a little off balance and with defenders on her, her left footed shot was again grabbed by Quintos.

The Bulldogs kept working and were rewarded with a corner kick in the 107th minute. Junior Tori Lee bent it nicely into the mix and it found the head of junior defender Cricket Harber. The header by Harber had great pace on it but it was hit wide right of the goal.

The Zags continued to fight and with 23 seconds left on the clock they had one last dangerous attack. The Bulldogs played a ball into the middle of the field about 12-yards from goal. Junior Ali Ohashi was open but her left footed shot sailed left of the post.

“This was a tough stretch for us with four games in eight days and to then go into overtime and a second overtime,” stated Edwards of the stretch that GU posted a 2-1-1 mark. “To get eight shots off in the second overtime shows we are mentally tough though and a fit group. The final piece is the finishing touches; scoring a goal.”

Despite leaving the field with a tie, Edwards was extremely pleased with her team’s defense, which held an opponent scoreless for the fourth time this year.

“I was very impressed with our defending; our group defending, our team defending and the pressuring,” Edwards said. “As I have said before, our pressing is creating some opportunities and today was no different.”

Gonzaga will return to action next Friday when it plays at UC Riverside. The match is set for 7 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.