Dayton earns late victory over Belmont
DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s soccer team scored in the 103rd minute to pick up a 2-1 double overtime win over Belmont Sunday.
The Flyers (2-2-0) kept their winning streak alive with a hard-fought victory against a tough Belmont (1-2-1) squad. Dayton dominated possession and recorded a staggering 42 shots in the game.
- 57th Minute – Dayton 1, Belmont 0 – Senior defender Lalas Abubakar slotted home a deflected shot off the set piece from freshman Rok Taneski.
- 61st Minute – Dayton 1, Belmont 1 – Belmont equalized on the penalty kick by Dennis Kluba.
- 103rd Minute – Dayton 2, Belmont 1 – Sophomore Kennedy Nwabia headed home the cross from freshman David Lianes for the gamewinner.
- Dayton outshot Belmont in the contest 42-5.
- The Flyers put 16 shots on target compared to the Bruins’ two.
- In the first half, Dayton had a 19-2 shot advantage, putting six on target.
- Goalkeeper Justin Saliba recorded one save in his third start, improving his record to 2-1.
- Belmont committed 11 fouls to Dayton’s seven.
- Not only did the Flyers have the shot advantage, but they also had 12 corners compared to the Bruins’ three.
- Taneski led Dayton with seven shots, three on target, while Nwabia added six, three on goal.
- The Flyers will head to Wilmington, N.C. next weekend for the UNCW Courtyard by Marriott Classic. Dayton plays host UNC-Wilmington Friday at 7:30 p.m. before taking on Marist Sunday at 12 p.m.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 23-29
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Roster for U19 MNT Trip to Spain
- U16 GNT enjoys successful trip to Europe
- On the National Stage with Savannah Sabo
- Commitments: Crucial Late Signing?
- Recruiting Views: Big Name Additions
- Soccer Masters TeamRank Update - Boys
- TDS Girls Regional Rankings: Class of 2022
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s