Dayton Falls To Western Illinois, 2-1
DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s soccer team (1-4) lost 2-1 to the Western Illinois Leathernecks (2-3-1) on Sunday in the final match of the Dayton Marriott Classic.
Sophomore Victor Duru found the back of the net for his second consecutive game. Duru had five points in the tournament (2 G, 1 A) and was picked to all-tournament team. Redshirt junior Michael Deyhle was also tabbed to the all-tournament team for UD.
Sophomore goalkeeper Alec Storm made three saves on five Western Illinois shots on goal. The Flyers held the advantage in shots with 15 total attempts to the Leathernecks’ 12. Dayton also had a slight edge in corner kicks, 4-3.
The Flyers opened the scoring on Duru’s goal at 8:50 in the match. Freshman David Abidor booted the ball from past midfield into senior Jack Pearson who headed the ball through to Duru inside the box. Duru planted the ball into the lower left corner to give UD a 1-0 advantage.
Nearly five minutes into the second half Western Illinois got on the board with a free kick from 20 yards out by Charlie Bales into the right upper 90 to knot the game at one apiece. At 53:46, the Leathernecks tallied the go-ahead goal on Mariano Leo’s pass to Diego Gonzalez inside the box to give WIU a 2-1 lead and the eventual win.
Dayton returns to action on Friday in the Green Bay Soccer Classic. UD will face Green Bay and Eastern Illinois.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 16-22
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- MLS Next Flex: Finishing on Tuesday
- Thompson Sisters Sign NIL Deal With Nike
- MLS Next Flex: U16, U19 teams finish
- Men's DI Internationals to Watch in 2022
- Girls club standouts: May 14-15
- MLS Next: U15s, U17s take center stage
- Final 2022 Boys IMG Academy Player Rankings
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s