Junior Mackenzie Dowd scored the game-tying goal in the 86th minute, then netted the overtime winner 53 seconds into extra time to rally the Northeastern women's soccer team (9-4-1, 2-1-1 CAA) to a dramatic 3-2 victory over UNCW (9-4-1, 2-1-1 CAA) on Sunday at Parsons Field.
UNCW's Katrina Guillou scored her second goal of the game to put the visitors ahead 2-1 in the 82nd minute, but Northeastern battled back to tie when Dowd converted a penalty kick three minutes later.
Then, 53 seconds into overtime, Dowd took the ball on the right wing and cut inside, before curling a 20-yard effort inside the left post to give NU three huge points in the CAA standings.
• Northeastern struck first in the 40th minute when junior Kimberly Slade looped a ball over the UNCW defense to a cutting Nicole Gorman, who poked it by the keeper at the top of the box.
• The Seahawks pulled even two minutes later when Guillou, who looked to be in an offside position, collected a flicked ball in the box and slotted a shot into the lower right corner.
• Guillou then struck again at 81:18, running onto a long ball on the right wing, before blasting a shot into the upper left corner of the net.
• Down but not out, NU pushed back the other way and was rewarded for its hard work with a penalty kick in the 86th minute. Down calmly stepped up and drilled the spot-kick inside the left post to make it 2-2.
• The Gig Harbor, Washington, native then delivered the winner on the Huskies' first offensive foray in extra time. Given time and space on the right wing, Dowd curled a left-footed attempt from the edge of the box inside the left post to give NU the comeback win.
Stats of the Game
• Northeastern snapped UNCW's nine-game unbeaten streak.
• The Seahawks outshot the Huskies, 15-11.
• With two goals, Dowd is now tied for the team lead with five tallies this season.
• Dowd has three game-winning goals this season, including two in OT (St. Joseph's).
• The Huskies will head back to the road for a pair of games at James Madison (Oct. 9) and Towson (Oct. 11) next weekend.