FLYERS CONTINUE HOT STREAK WITH 2-0 VICTORY
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The University of Dayton men's soccer team opened up the Missouri State Tournament Friday with a 2-0 win over Western Illinois.
Dayton (4-0-0) took an early lead in the contest when junior Greg Enstone scored the opening goal in the 23rd minute by capitalizing on a Western Illinois turnover near the Leatherneck 18-yard box.
The Flyers were steady defensively and held the 1-0 advantage heading into the locker room at halftime.
Dayton's lead would stand until the 79th minute when senior Abe Keller scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Flyers ahead of the Leathernecks 2-0.
In the end, the goals by Enstone and Keller would be all Dayton would need to win the tournament opener, 2-0.
The Flyers were dominant on both ends of the field and outshot the Leathernecks 19-8. The aggressive play of the Flyers came at a cost for UD though as they picked up a pair of yellow cards and a red card in the contest.
Enston and Keller added to their goal totals on the season while sophomore Chris Froschauer recorded four saves in goal for UD. Dayton's defense helped to record the second shutout of the season and second in as many games.
The Flyers and the No. 1 offense in the nation finish up play at the MSU Tournament on Sunday when they take on Detroit at 1 p.m. ET.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 16-22
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- MLS Next Flex: Finishing on Tuesday
- Thompson Sisters Sign NIL Deal With Nike
- MLS Next Flex: U16, U19 teams finish
- Men's DI Internationals to Watch in 2022
- Girls club standouts: May 14-15
- MLS Next: U15s, U17s take center stage
- Final 2022 Boys IMG Academy Player Rankings
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s