Text size

George Washington Downs Liberty, 2-0

Article Written by Ryan Bomberger
Published: September 9, 2012

       LEXINGTON, VA. – Two goals in the second half pushed the George Washington Colonials past the Liberty Flames, 2-0, Sunday afternoon at the Sculley Memorial Tournament.
      With the setback, Liberty drops to 1-3 on the season.  George Washington evens their record at 2-2.
      The contest started with each team having a shot attempt.  The Flames worked an attempt off the opening kickoff. Midfielder Juan Nino ripped a shot from the top of the 18-yard box during the first minute of play, wide right.  The Colonials’ attempt came off a free kick from 20 yards out, which Liberty goalkeeper Sam Chappell stopped near the right post during the fourth minute.
      In the ninth minute, midfielder Tim Harbison sent a shot towards the left corner of the goal off a corner kick, which George Washington goalkeeper J.P. van der Merwe dove and deflected away.
      With play settling mainly in the midfield, Liberty midfielder Sachem Wilson pounced on a ball off a Colonial defender and ripped a shot from the top of box wide to the right during the 30th minute.
      In the scoreless first half, Liberty outshot George Washington, 5-2, and led in corner kicks, 1-0.
      The second half opened with Flames forward Austin Wyman moving into space on the left side of the penalty area for a shot during the 47th minute.  However, Colonial keeper van der Merwe saw the attempt off Wyman’s foot and easily corralled it for a save.
      In transition, Wyman again got a scoring opportunity during the 54th minute. Midfielder Juan Nino push a pass onto the forward foot on the left side of the box, which van der Merwe batted away and was cleared by the George Washington defense.
      At 59:04, the Colonials netted the contest’s first goal.  In transition, midfielder Ross Higgins sent a long crossing pass to the back post, which forward Seth Rudolph headed in for his first goal of the year and a 1-0 George Washington lead.
      Five minutes later, Rudolph added to his team’s lead.  Off a free kick from 20 yards out, the forward tucked the kick into the far right corner of the net for his second goal of the game and a 2-0 edge.
      Pushing players forward, Liberty put pressure on the Colonial defense only to turned away during the 69th minute. A shot by Flames defender Greg White was blocked down by van der Merwe.  The rebound slid to Wyman, who sent an attempt towards the far post, which a George Washington defender cleared off the goal line, preventing Liberty from cutting into its deficit.
      Liberty continued to press the Colonial defense, working White into the space for a shot from the top of the box during the 84th minute.  The Flames defender’s shot sailed high.
      In the 89th minute, midfielder Tyler Bullock lifted a shot, which was saved by van der Merwe, sealing the 2-0 Colonial win.
      Liberty outshot George Washington, 12-5.  The Flames also held the advantage in corner kicks, 5-1.
      Chappell made one save for Liberty, while van der Merwe recorded six saves for George Washington.
      Flames midfielder Johnny Torres, defender Uriah Bentick and White were named to the all-tournament team.
      Liberty next travels to Washington, D.C., for a contest with the Howard Bison.  Match time is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.