Text size

Georgetown draws with #1 UConn

Published: October 23, 2011

WASHINGTON - In front of a sellout crowd, the No. 24 Georgetown University men's soccer team tied the No. 1 University of Connecticut Huskies (13-1-2, 4-1-2 BIG EAST), 0-0, in double overtime on Saturday evening in Storrs, Conn. The raucous crowd wasn't an issue for the Blue & Gray who snapped UConn's home win streak. Georgetown is now 9-3-4 on the season and 4-2-1 in BIG EAST play with just two home conference matches remaining in the regular season.

The first half was the evenly matched as Georgetown took three shots and Connecticut managed five. From that point on, it was a defensive battle for the Hoyas who were on their heels much of the game, but managed to keep the clean sheet.

The Huskies had two shots on goal in the first half as Georgetown freshman goalkeeper Tomas Gomez (Webster Groves, Mo./Webster Groves) managed two huge stops.

In the second half, the Huskies looked to be in control outshooting the Hoyas, 10-2. However, the defense stood strong forcing the two extra periods which were evenly matched.

The Hoyas were outshot, 18-8, and took no corners to Connecticut's five. Gomez posted two saves in the net for his and the team's seventh shutout of the season, while UConn's Andre Blake managed one stop.

It marked the Hoyas' seventh overtime contest of the season with GU going 2-1-4 in extra periods and 2-0-4 in double overtime.

Prior to Saturday's game, the Huskies had won all eight contests played at home so far this season. The tie snapped that win streak which included one overtime victory.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2020 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.