Text size

Lady Bison soccer battles to 3-3 draw in A-S

Published: October 16, 2013

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – In what was a back-and-forth affair, with both teams holding their breath, the Lipscomb women’s soccer team tied Stetson 3-3 Friday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

The game featured 32 shots, six goals and three assists as the game went into double overtime where shots flew off the cross bar but neither team could break through.

“It was a wonderful spectator game,” Lipscomb head coach Kevin O’Brien said. “For a coach, it got the heart racing. Quite honestly, two evenly matched teams played a wonderful competition in front of a great crowd.”

The Lady Bisons (4-5-3, 1-1-1 A-Sun) got the scoring started in the fourth minute as junior Baylee Linnell dribbled the ball to the goal line and made a cross to freshman Alesondra Colbert who struck the ball into the net for her first career goal. 

Stetson equalized the game in the 37th minute as Ashni Deschenes crossed the ball to Eduarda Pavao who headed the ball into the net. 

Just four minutes later, the Hatters (3-6-2, 1-1-1 A-Sun) took the lead on an Amber Grose penalty kick. 

“Ultimately, we started the game well,” O’Brien said. “Then Stetson took it over and played better the rest of the first half. 

“I think we played better in the second half, even though they knotted it up late.”

Sophomore Molly Bray tied the game at 2-2 in the 54th minute, making Stetson pay for a miscue on a free kick. Bray lined up 25 yards out to take the kick, after the initial shot was blocked, Bray took her own rebound and placed it in the upper left corner for her third goal of the year. 

Freshman Ellen Lundy, who entered the game seventh in the nation in goals scored, notched her 13th goal in the 69th minute. Picking up a loose ball from a scrum in front of the net, Lundy got enough on a kick that sent the ball into the back of the net. 

With pressure mounting on Stetson to make a move in the closing minutes, the Hatters took advantage on a set piece to tie the game in the 89th minute. Amber Grose sent a ball sailing to Danielle Hurme who headed the ball for the equalizer. 

“We couldn’t quite preserve the 3-2 lead with a minute and a half remaining, and that was disappointing,” O”Brien said. “Set pieces have been a thorn in our flesh and we have got to solve that.” 

The overtime periods so a total of 10 with each goalkeeper coming up big with saves. Freshman Anna Buhigas has nine saves for the Lady Bisons as she continues to lead the A-Sun with 62 saves. Victoria Troccoli had four saves for the Hatters. 

“It was a cracking overtime,” O’Brien said. “We hit the cross bar, they hit the cross bar. It was just an entertaining game.” 

The Lady Bisons have their stiffest test of the season Sunday hosting preseason favorite and two-time defending A-Sun champions Florida Gulf Coast. 

“We’ve got to tighten the hatches,” O’Brien said. “We have got to be a little tighter defensively. If we give Florida Gulf Coast the chances we gave Stetson, they will punish us. 

“It is a matter of having a great recovery day tomorrow, coming out with a lot of energy and excitement about playing a great team on our home pitch. We look forward to competing against them.” 

Sunday’s game is slated to begin at 1 p.m. 

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.