No Top 25 games today - Click to view all scores
Text size

Liberty Defeats Campbell, 2-1

Published: November 5, 2014

      LYNCHBURG, Va. – A goal by Tim Harbison at the 75:31 mark broke a 1-1 tie, sending the Liberty Flames to 2-1 win over the Campbell Camels, Wednesday evening at Osborne Stadium.

      With the win, Liberty stays in the hunt to finish in the top four places in the Big South standings and host a conference quarterfinal game in the 2014 Big South Men’s Soccer Championship, next Tuesday.

      After a scoreless first half, Tyler Bullock scored his second goal of the season and Harbison netted his fourth goal of the year in the second half of the Liberty victory.

      Liberty moves to 5-3 in Big South play and 10-5-1 overall. The Flames have won four straight Big South Conference games and reached 10 wins in a season for the 18th in the program’s 40-year history of the program. Eight of those years have been achieved during Head Coach Jeff Alder’s 14-year tenure. Campbell drops to 2-6 in Big South action and 5-11 overall.

      Liberty carried possession during the first half, outshooting Campbell, 7-1. However, the Flames were unable to find the net. 

      Pressing the Camels early, Liberty may have had its best scoring opportunity of the half during the sixth minute. Midfielder Alan Arellano ran onto a through pass at the top of the 18-yard box and ripped a shot which hit the crossbar square, preventing a quick Flames’ score.

      Later in the 41st minute, Liberty midfielder Bay Kurtz headed a crossing pass into the center of the box toward the upper right corner of the goal. Matthew Mozynski knocked the ball down and then smoothed the attempt to send the contest to halftime without a goal.

      Liberty staked itself to a 1-0 advantage during the 58th minute of the second half. Forward Sachem Wilson sent a crossing pass from the right sideline to the far post, where Bullock headed the ball into the right side of the goal at 57:40. Defender Troy Reeves also assisted on the marker.

      The lead was short-lived as Campbell scored 19 second later. Forward Bradley Farias dropped a pass for defender Reafe Anderson at the top of the 18-yard box. Anderson lined a shot from the center of the penalty area into the lower left corner of the goal at 57:59 to knot the game at 1-1.

       Harbison netted the game-winner at 75:31. Off a corner kick, the ball was headed down into the box for the junior defender at the right post. Harbison lined a shot from eight yards out, which Mozynski blocked, but could not control. The rebound came right back to Harbison, who tucked a shot into the near right corner for what proved to be the final score of 2-1.

      Liberty held a 15-9 advantage in shots and a 6-0 edge in corner kicks in the contest.

      Goalkeeper Scott Sutarik made five saves during the 90 minutes of regulation for the Flames. Mozynski recorded six saves for the Camels.

      Liberty will conclude its regular season by hosting the High Point Panthers, Saturday at Osborne Stadium. The Big South Conference match is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1., 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.