No Top 25 games today - Click to view all scores
Text size

Liberty Rallies to Tie, Before Falling in OT

Published: September 8, 2015

      Lynchburg, Va. – Liberty forward Sachem Wilson scored during the final minute of regulation to force overtime. However, the visiting Marshall Thundering Herd netted the game-winner in the second overtime for a 2-1 victory over the Flames, Tuesday evening at Osborne Stadium.

      Trailing 1-0 and playing a man down due to a disqualification earlier in the half, Liberty found the equalizer with 16 seconds left. After a corner kick in the 89th minute, midfielder Geovanny Murillo came free on the left side of the 18-yard for a shot, which was blocked on the goal line by a Marshall defender. The loose ball came back to Murillo, who pushed a pass into the center of the box for Wilson. The senior forward lined his first goal of the season into the upper right-hand corner of the goal with a bicycle kick to tie the contest at 1-1 at 89:44.

      In the second overtime and the sides playing 10-on-10 due to a disqualification of a Thundering Herd player in the first overtime period, Marshall midfielder Jack Hopkins was able to send a pass to the six-yard box. There, forward Rimario Gordon scored his second goal of the season with a shot to the right side of the net, giving the Herd a 2-1 win at 104:38.

      Marshall outshot Liberty, 19-15. The Flames held a 6-5 edge in corner kicks.

      Liberty drops to 1-3 on the year. The Flames have lost three consecutive matches. Marshall moves to 3-1 on the season. The Thundering Herd have won three straight contests.

      Liberty goalkeeper Jeremy Lee made five saves on the evening, while Marshall goalkeeper Dominik Reining recorded six.

      Neither team scored in the first half. Liberty’s best scoring opportunities came within a minute span late in the half. A shot by Flames defender Kyle Carr began the span during the 41st minute. The rising liner was pushed over the goal by Reining for a Liberty corner kick.

      Off the kick, defender Tim Harbison fired a shot which Reining knocked down, but did not control. Forward Alan Arellano jumped on the loose ball and ripped a shot from close range, but Reining made a diving stop and clear the ball to halt the Liberty pressure.

      Liberty went a man down during the 47th minute of the second half. Flames keeper Lee was able to stop a shot by Marshall’s Hopkins shortly after, and later turned away midfielder Daniel Jodah during the 54th minute.

      The Thundering Herd struck for the first marker of the contest during the 57th minute. Jodah took a pass into the center of the 18-yard box and netted his first goal of the season to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage.

      Later in the half, Lee made saves on two scoring opportunities from close range by Gordon during the 68th minute and John Pappas in the 70th minute to keep the Flames’ deficit at one.

      Liberty then found the equalizer off the foot of Wilson during the final minute to send the match into overtime.

      After a scoreless first overtime period, Marshall scored the game-winner on its first shot attempt of overtime.

      The contest was Liberty’s first match to go to overtime this season.

      Liberty will next host the VMI Keydets, Saturday at Osborne Stadium.  Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1., 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.