Text size

Liberty Shuts Out VMI, 3-0

Published: September 12, 2015

        LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Liberty Flames recorded their first shutout of 2015, downing the VMI Keydets, 3-0, Saturday afternoon at Osborne Stadium.

        Sachem Wilson scored his second goal of the year and assisted on another in the contest to post his first multi-point game of the season. The senior forward’s multi-point game is the fifth of his career and the first by a Flames’ player this year.

        Midfielder Kevin Mendoza scored the first goal of his collegiate career and Tim Harbison netted his second marker of the year in the win.

        Geovanny Murrillo and Wilson assisted on Mendoza’s goal, while Kyle Carr assisted on Wilson’s marker.

        The Flames held the Keydets without a goal for the second straight season. Liberty has outscored VMI, 8-0, in their last two meetings. The Flames defeated the Keydets, 5-0, on Sept. 2 at Patchin Field in Lexington, Va., in 2014.

        Liberty goalkeeper Jeremy Lee made one save, while playing the full 90 minutes to record the second shutout of his career. VMI goalkeeper Alex Guerra made seven saves during the contest.

        Liberty moves to 2-3 on the year. The win snaps a three game losing streak for the Flames. VMI falls to 0-4 on the season.

        Liberty carried play during the first half, outshooting VMI, 10-0. The Flames defense kept the Keydets attack bottled up and contained in the midfield for most of the half.

        Liberty took a 1-0 lead during the half, striking for its first goal of the game during the 11th minute. Murrillo inserted the ball into the top left corner of the 18-yard box for Mendoza. The midfielder then tapped it to Wilson. The forward dropped the ball right back to Mendoza for a shot straight on the net. Receiving the pass in stride, the midfielder ripped the first shot by either team in contest into the lower right corner of the goal for a Liberty advantage.

        The Flames added to their lead early in the second half. Midfielder Kyle Carr sent a long pass forward past the Keydets’ backline, putting Wilson one-on-one with the VMI keeper Guerra. Wilson ran onto the ball and ripped a shot into the lower right corner of the net during the 55th minute to extend the Flames’ edge to 2-0.

        Harbison completed the Liberty scoring on the afternoon by converting a penalty kick for what proved to be the final score of 3-0. Liberty. During the 75th minute, a VMI defender pulled down a Liberty attacker down in the box, resulting a penalty kick for the Flames.

        For the match, Liberty outshot VMI, 21-6, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 6-1.

        The contest was the last of a three consecutive home matches for the Flames. Liberty will next begin a string of three straight road games on Tuesday. The Flames will travel to Washington, D.C., for a contest with the Howard Bison. Kickoff at Greene Field is set for 4 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.