Text size


Published: October 11, 2014

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Sophomore goalkeeper Eric Klenofsky (Lincoln Park, N.J./DePaul Catholic) and the Hawks’ defense posted their fourth-straight clean sheet as the Monmouth University men’s soccer team played Fairfield to a scoreless tie, Saturday night at Hesse Field on The Great Lawn. With the tie, the Hawks are now 6-2-3 (2-0-2 MAAC), while the Stags move to 4-3-4 (1-1-2 MAAC). Klenofsky made three saves in the draw.

For the game, Fairfield took a 12-9 edge in shots. However, just three were on target and the Stags enjoyed their first shot on goal in the 71st minute. Monmouth took a 12-1 edge in corner kicks, including a 6-0 advantage in the first half.

In the first half, the Hawks developed several solid chances. Dave Nigro (Marlboro, N.J./Marlboro) sent a shot on goal in the 22nd minute, but it was punched aside by Fairfield keeper Matt Turner. Following the ensuing corner, Matt Jeffery (Freehold, N.J./Freehold Township) sent a header on target, but Turner again was there for the save.


Dom Sarle (Huntington, N.Y./Bradenton Prep) had a pair of shots on goal in the 31st and 36th minutes, but both were saved by Turner.

Ben Whitcomb and Ben Wignall hit shots high in the 49th and 60th minutes, respectively, before the Stags tested Klenofsky for the first time in the 71st minute. The sophomore was equal to the task. Sarle again sent a shot on net in the 84th minute, but Turner was there for the save. In the 88th minute, Dan Pizzimenti (Manalapan, N.J./Christian Brothers Academy) sent a shot toward the net that was knocked down by a Stags defender inside the 18-yard box. The Hawks incredulously called for a hand ball to no avail.

Fairfield got the first chance in overtime, but Whitcomb’s shot was cleaned up by Klenofsky in the 93rd minute. The Hawks sent a dangerous cross in front in the 95th minute, but it was knocked wide out of bounds for a corner kick by the Stags. Two corners followed for Monmouth, but the score remained 0-0 after 100 minutes.

In the second overtime, Andrew Gee (Cranford, N.J./Cranford) had the Hawks’ best chance, but his header trickled wide of the right post in the 107th minute. Wignall put a shot on net that Klenofsky easily secured in the 108th minute. McCarthy and Wignall each had a shot in the final minutes, but they sailed wide and high, respectively, as the game ended in a scoreless draw.


Following an idle week, the Hawks return to action next Saturday, Oct. 18, when they travel to Quinnipiac for a rematch of last year’s MAAC Championship Game. Kickoff from the QU Soccer Field is slated for 3 p.m.   

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.