Text size


Published: October 25, 2014

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Sophomore goalkeeper Eric Klenofsky (Lincoln Park, N.J./DePaul Catholic) tied his career high with seven saves as the Monmouth University men’s soccer team played Marist to a scoreless tie Saturday night at Hesse Field on The Great Lawn. With the tie, the Hawks move to 6-3-5 (2-1-4 MAAC), while the Red Foxes are now 6-5-4 (2-3-2 MAAC).

Both teams created several opportunities, with the final shot total going 19-14 in favor of Monmouth. Klenofsky’s counterpart, Mark Rajovic, made six saves for the Red Foxes. Monmouth took a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.

Dave Nigro (Marlboro, N.J./Marlboro) had the first quality scoring chance of the night, getting a one-on-one opportunity against Rajovic, but the sophomore’s shot clipped just enough of the crossbar to keep it out of the net in the 14th minute. The Hawks kept the pressure on, with Dom Sarle (Huntington, N.Y./Bradenton Prep) getting a head on a Derek Luke (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) cross in the 18th minute, but again Rajovic was there for the save.

Marist got its first solid chance in the 36th minute, with Brandon Curtis getting ahead of the pack. But Klenofsky made a diving save. The Red Foxes’ next scoring chance was as close to going in as any on the night, as Myles Ashong sent a shot from the top of the 18-yard box off the left post in the 48th minute. Monmouth moved quickly back down the other end of the field in the 49th minute, with Sarle lofting a shot over Rajovic, but just wide of the right post. Later in the minute, Sarle again got a shot on goal, but Rajovic made the save.

The Hawks kept up the pressure in the 54th minute, with Nigro taking a pass down the left sideline, getting close to the 18-yard box, faking two defenders first right, then left, before getting off a low, left-footed shot that sent Rajovic sprawling to make the save.

Ashong got deep into the box for Marist in the 59th minute, but Klenofsky came out to cut off his angle at the net and keep the game scoreless. In the 67th minute, the Red Foxes managed a soft shot on net that would’ve gone over the goal line if not for Emmanuel Senyah Agyemang (Kumasi, Ghana/KNUST University) being there to clear it off the line.

Nigro again found the ball at his feet inside the box in the 72nd minute, but his shot sailed high. Five minutes later, the sophomore sent a shot on net from 20 yards out, but Rajovic got a fingertip on the ball, sending it just wide of the post.

Marist’s Erik Dahl got shots off in the 81st and 83rd minutes, resulting in a Klenofsky save and the ball sailing well wide, respectively. The Hawks mustered one last flurry in regulation, with Dan Pizzimenti (Manalapan, N.J./Christian Brothers Academy) sending a header wide in the 84th minute and Lorenzo Scala (Toms River, N.J./Toms River East) sending a low shot on net in the 85th minute that Rajovic made the save on.

Both teams got one shot off in the first overtime, with Luke’s shot going wide in the 92nd minute before Marist’s Steven Arraiano’s shot was saved by Klenofsky.

The action picked up in the final two minutes of the second overtime, with Marist forcing Klenofsky to make a pair of saves and Pizzimenti pushing a header wide. But neither team could find the back of the net as the game ended in a scoreless tie.

The Hawks return to action Wednesday, when they play host to hOURglass rival Rider. Prior to the game, the Hawks will honor their five seniors as part of Senior Day ceremonies. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.