WICHITA - The Newman women's soccer team was victorious in their home opener Monday night, picking up a 4-0 win over arch-rival Friends. Sophomore Celia Myers needed just over 17 minutes to net a hat trick as the Jets out-shot the Falcons 13-2 in the first half.
- Newman goalkeeper Christina Farid was forced to make just two saves in the first half and improves her record to 1-1 for the season.
- The Jets out-shot Friends 19-3 in the match.
- Freshman Kayla Strong provided the assists on all three of Myers' goals.
- Lorielle Slates scored her first collegiate goal in the 42nd minute to give Newman a 4-0 lead.
- Myers led the team with ten total shots, four of which were on goal.
- Head Coach Derek Nichols played his entire bench in the match including substitute goalkeeper Allyson Briesch who started the second half.
- Newman had 10 corner kicks in the match and held Friends without a corner opportunity.
With the win, Newman improves to 1-1 on the season while Friends falls to 0-2. The Jets will return to action Thursday evening, hosting East Central at 7 p.m. at Wilkins Field.