No. 1 GVSU Earns 1-1 Tie at Minnesota State Mankato
MANKATO, Minn. - Despite junior Kayla Addison getting Grand Valley State on the board first, the women's soccer team battled to a 1-1 tie against Minnesota State Mankato on Sunday, Sept. 4 at the Pitch at Gage Towers.
After their opening two games, the Lakers now stand at 0-0-2, while Minnesota Statesits at 1-0-1. The Lakers next game is on Sunday, Sept. 11 at noon as GVSU hosts its home opener against conference foe Saginaw Valley State.
GVSU got on the board at 70:38 thanks to a goal from junior forward Kayla Addison(Southfield, Mich.). Addison took advantage of a scramble in front of the net off juniorErin Hilbert's (Ada, Mich.) corner kick and found a spot past the Minnesota Statedefense for the 1-0 lead.
In what seemed to be a repeat of the Lakers' first game on Friday, the Mavericks evened the score just over 10 minutes later off a shot from Brianne West. West connected with the ball and sailed it to the opposite corner from the left side at the top of the box.
Grand Valley State held the edge in shots, 21-18, including an 11-9 margin in shots on net. The Lakers fired off eight shots in the overtime periods compared to Minnesota State's one. Goalkeeper Chelsea Parise (Warren,Mich.) picked up 10 saves in the tie.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 16-22
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- MLS Next Flex: U16, U19 teams finish
- Men's DI Internationals to Watch in 2022
- Girls club standouts: May 14-15
- MLS Next: U15s, U17s take center stage
- Final 2022 Boys IMG Academy Player Rankings
- Nemzer wants to build Maryland dynasty
- MLS Next Flex: Massive Day 2
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s