Text size

No. 25 WVU Upsets No. 13 Georgetown

Published: October 8, 2011

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – A goal by midfielder Uwem Etukwith nine minutes remaining in regulation pushed the No. 25 West Virginia men’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over No. 13 Georgetown on Saturday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.

Uwem Etuk

“It’s good to win any game. It was a confidence boost for us to win at Cincinnati and it was a confidence boost for us to win here. We’re back on track,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We’re obviously going in the right direction and the shutout was good for us. I thought we defended well and they didn’t have any real good opportunities.”

After being subbed into the game at the 80:28 mark, Etuk quickly made use of his opportunity and netted his fifth career goal and first of the season at 81:16. The play developed as midfielder Shadow Sebele played a through ball to forward Peabo Doue in the middle of the pitch. Doue took a hard shot that was blocked by Georgetown keeper Tomas Gomez. The rebound came to the feet of Etuk who drove the ball off the crossbar and into the back of the net.

“Georgetown is a solid team and takes a lot of teams to overtime,” Etuk says. “We didn’t want that. We took our chance and put it away to come out of here with a win.”

The goal was Etuk’s second career game-winner, second career goal in the 81st minute and second career goal against Georgetown.

The match also broke a three-game losing streak to Georgetown and improves WVU’s record to 3-4 all-time at home against the Hoyas.

West Virginia (6-4-1) held the possession for the majority of the second half and had the shot advantage at 17-12 for the match, while also taking double the corner kicks at 12-6. Forward Andy Bevin led all players with six shots, while Andy Reimer of Georgetown (7-2-3) took a team-high four shots.

The first half saw minimal opportunities with WVU unable to put a shot on net and the Hoyas taking both of their shots on-goal in the frame. Ian Christianson and Steve Neumann each had shots from 20 yards out that were gathered by WVU keeper Justin Holmes with no harm.

WVU continued to pressure and recorded three second half shots-on goal, while earning eight corner kicks to Georgetown’s three.

Etuk had WVU’s previous best opportunity after receiving a pass from Bevin in the 49th minute on a hard left-footed shot that Gomez was able wrap up.

Defender Eric Schoenle nearly put the Mountaineers on the board in the 72nd minute when he had a diving header float over the Hoya goal. Midfielder Allan Flott started the attack with a corner kick that was flicked by defender Matt Drake to the head of Schoenle.

Ben Slingerland had Georgetown’s best chance in the 50th minute, ringing a header off the crossbar after a free kick from in front of the Hoyas bench. Neumann had a breakaway opportunity in the 66th minute, but pushed the ball wide right.

Holmes recorded his second-consecutive shutout and third of the season, making two saves. Perez made two saves for the Hoyas after coming into the match ranked sixth in the nation in goals-against average.

The Mountaineers continue BIG EAST action when they travel to Pitt on Wednesday, Oct. 12, at 7:00 p.m. Pitt is coming off a 2-0 win over Seton Hall this evening.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.