AUSTIN, Texas – The No. 6-ranked St. Edward’s University women’s soccer team remained unbeaten Sunday as it battled No. 11-ranked Texas A&M-Commerce to a double overtime, 0-0 draw at Lewis-Chen Family Field.
The Hilltoppers recorded three shots in the first 12 minutes of action before the Lions could get on the stat sheet. SEU proceeded to outshoot the Lions 9-4 in the first half, forcing five saves from TAMUC goalkeeper Caitlin Duty.
St. Edward’s took charge on offense in the second half as well, outshooting Commerce 8-4 with six more shots on-goal. SEU goalkeeper Ocoee Wilson made two saves of her own to force the game into overtime, where she made one more save to preserve the draw.
· Wilson has four-career shutouts with a career goals-against average of 0.00 and a career-save percentage of 1.000.
· Senior defender Mackenzie Cherniuk took the fifth shot of her career against the Lions.
· Junior transfer Stephanie Evans took the first two shots of her Hilltopper career with both going on goal.
· Senior midfielder Gracen Jacks has 70-career attempts with 30 going on frame.
· St. Edward’s is off to its best start since going 4-0 to open the 2012 season.
· Head Coach Nick Cowell sits five wins shy of 400 career victories.
· Cowell is 395-120-37 overall and 177-34-16 at St. Edward’s.
STAT OF THE GAME I
441 – The Hilltoppers have not surrendered a goal in 441 minutes of action, dating back to the 63’ of the first-round match of the NCAA Tournament in 2016.
STAT OF THE GAME II
7 – SEU has recorded seven shutouts in its last 10 matches dating back to Oct. 22, 2016.
Head Coach Nick Cowell on the draw…
“I thought we played well defensively. This is our fourth game with a shutout and we battled hard. I felt we had a good defensive strategy for the game. We just need to concentrate a little bit more on the offensive third. Our final ball wasn’t where it was supposed to be, and I felt like we played into their hands a little bit. We just have to figure out how to break teams down in the attacking third.”
The Hilltoppers open their Heartland Conference road slate Thursday against Lubbock Christian at 3 p.m. at the LCU Soccer Field. Live stats and video will be available at GoHilltoppers.com.
Follow St. Edward’s Women’s Soccer all season long on Twitter and Instagram using the handle @SEUWSoccer.