BOSTON – The Northeastern women’s soccer team earned its first CAA win with a 2-1 victory over the College of Charleston on Friday at rainy Parsons Field.
The Huskies (8-4-1, 1-1-1 CAA) took the lead on a 16th-minute own goal, before doubling the advantage on a deflected shot by junior Carina Deandreis in the 30th minute.
The Cougars (8-4-0, 2-1-0 CAA) pulled a goal back in the 88th minute, but could not find an equalizer as Northeastern held on to snap Charleston’s five-game winning streak.
• Northeastern took the lead on 16 minutes following a brilliant run by sophomore Kayla Cappuzzo on the right wing. After beating her defender to the endline, Cappuzzo played a cross through the box to freshman Nicole Gorman, whose first-time hit took a fortuitous bounce off a defender and inside the left post.
• The Huskies got another good bounce in the 30th minute when Deandreis’ blast from outside the box struck the leg of a Charleston player in front of the net and glanced inside the right post to make it 2-0.
• The Cougars reduced the deficit to one at 87:32 when Hannah Huizenga chipped a pass over the NU defense to an onrushing Laura Ortega for a smooth finish inside the right post.
Stats of the Game
• Northeastern doubled up the College of Charleston in shot attempts, 12-6.
• Freshman Nathalie Nidetch made her first collegiate start in goal and played all 90 minutes, while making three saves.
• The Huskies improved to 3-0-0 all-time against the Cougars.
• Northeastern will look to keep the momentum going Sunday when it welcomes UNCW to Parsons Field for a 1 p.m. kickoff.