No Top 25 games today - Click to view all scores
Text size

Northeastern women's soccer advances in CAA

Published: November 3, 2013

BOSTON –  The Northeastern women's soccer team found itself in familiar territory when it reached a shootout in the Colonial Athletic Association quarterfinal match against Delaware at Parsons Field on Sunday night. The Huskies prevailed in penalty kicks, 4-3, to advance to the CAA semifinals.

The Huskies have played into penalty kicks in the CAA quarterfinals for three consecutive seasons. Last year, NU lost in penalty kicks when it hosted Hofstra in the CAA quarterfinals. In 2011, NU beat George Mason in penalty kicks on its way to the CAA semifinals.

The Blue Hens provided the game's first two shots on goal, one of which came off the foot of Chelsea Duffy in the 18th minute. Duffy gathered a corner kick on the far side, but NU goalie Paige Burnett made the diving save to keep the score knotted, 0-0.

Hanna Terry made a bid to give NU a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute when she broke past the Delaware defense on the left side, but her shot from 10 yards out was stopped by the dive of Blue Hen goalkeeper Jessica Levy.

Late in the first half Morgan Hilby received a pass eight yards out from Lahaina Zoller, but Hilby's shot was stopped by Levy as the teams entered the half in a scoreless tie.

Both the Huskies and Blue Hens attempted four shots and both put two shots on goal in the first half. NU held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks at the break.

Just over 10 minutes into the second half Delaware's Shannon Kearney received a long pass and momentarily beat the NU defense, but Burnett came off her line to make the save near the top of the box.

Terry had a great opportunity to put Northeastern ahead late in the second half when she beat her defender on the left side and attacked the goal, but her hard shot from just a couple yards out hit the crossbar and the long rebound was cleared away.

Burnett came up huge for the Huskies in the first overtime when she made a diving save on a shot attempt by Delaware's Nikki Adams. Neither team put a shot on goal in the second overtime, yielding to a shootout.

The Blue Hens capitalized on their first two penalty kick attempts, but Carina Deandreis and Terry scored on their attempts to help NU keep pace. Delaware hit the post on its third attempt and Bianca Calderone scored to give NU a 3-2 lead. In the fourth round of penalty kicks the Blue Hens' Maddy Parker beat Burnett, but Shayna Blackwood answered to put the Huskies ahead, 4-2.

Dianna Marinaro lined for Delaware's fifth penalty kick, but her shot went wide right to seal the victory for Northeastern.

The Huskies will play William & Mary on Friday, Nov. 8, in Harrisonburg, Va., for a CAA semifinal matchup. The two teams came to a scoreless draw in the regular season finale.

Terry became the first player in Northeastern women's soccer history to eclipse the 5,000-minute mark for a career. She entered Sunday's contest with 4,911 career minutes and played 110 minutes against Delaware.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1., 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2020 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.