Beaumont, Texas - Karla Pineda scored the game-winning goal off a corner kick to lift the North Texas soccer team to a 1-0 win against Lamar on Sunday afternoon.
As inclement weather swirled around the match, neither team could find the back of the net until Pineda scored directly off one of her corner kicks in the 62nd minute. The game was halted in the 78th minute due to lightning and was called after an hour delay.
"Give Lamar credit," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "We hit 28 shots on goal and were only able to slip one by their defense and goalkeeper today. Our offense is a work in progress. We simply have to do a better job of finishing our chances. Defensively, we have been great in the three games we played."
The goal was the first of the season for Pineda, who led the team with eight shots, including four that were on target. The junior forward, who takes a majority of the corner kicks for the Mean Green, took four of NT's five corner kicks in the game.
For the third straight game, North Texas held the edge in shots and corner kicks. The Mean Green outshot the Cardinals, 28-8, in the game and took two more corner kicks, 5-3.
For the third straight game, the opposing goalkeeper was kept busy. Bailey Fontenot recorded 12 saves for the Cardinals.
On the other side, Jackie Kerestine and the Mean Green defense recorded their third straight shutout. Kerestine improves to 3-0 this season in goal for the Mean Green.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas returns home to face Abilene Christian on Friday, Sept. 5 at 7 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas is now 4-0 in the series against Lamar.
• North Texas went 1-0 this weekend after the Friday game against Houston was canceled.
• Karla Pineda scored her first goal of the season and her 11th of her career.
• North Texas starts off the season 3-0 for the fourth time in the last eight years.
• North Texas used the same lineup for the third straight game
• The Mean Green used nine substitutions in the game.