LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ – Taner Bay scored his first goal of the year to give the Broncs a 1-0 lead in the 75th minute, but the Rider University men’s soccer team dropped a heartbreaker to Marist, 2-1, Saturday afternoon on Ben Cohen Field. With the loss, the Broncs slip to 6-6-2 (3-3-2 MAAC), while the Red Foxes are now 7-7-0 (4-3-0 MAAC).
After a scoreless first half, Bay broke the deadlock with a strike into the right upper 90. Sergio Aguinaga (Madrid, Spain/Antonio Dominguez Ortiz) got the play started, playing the ball past his defender down the left sideline before a short, centering pass to Francisco Gomez Olano (Cadiz, Spain/University of Cadiz). Gomez sent another short pass to Bay, who quickly lined up the strike from 20 yards out.
But less than three minutes later, Marist had the answer. Stefan Copetti’s shot from near the top of the 18-yard box clanged off the left post, but Allen Gavilanes was there for the rebound score to equalize. With 10 seconds left in regulation, the Red Foxes were awarded a penalty kick after a Rider handball in the box. Broncs goalkeeper Pablo Gatinois (Madrid, Spain/Lycee Francais de Madrid [Oregon State]) guessed and moved to his right, but Huib Achterkamp sent a shot straight forward and into the back of the net for the game-winning goal.
Quotes and Notes
“We still have Wednesday. This is a resilient group of guys. They’re fighters. We’ve been fighting back from behind the last five years. That’s what we do here.”
“I couldn’t be prouder of these guys. This is close to the fifth overtime game that we’ve played in six games. We’ve played four in the last six games and we played this one down to the last 10 seconds. There’s guys that are out there on fumes and they’re fighting. We’re not done. We come back Wednesday.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- The Broncs lead the all-time series with Marist, 16-11-2. Entering the game, Rider had been 5-1-1 against the Red Foxes, dating back to 2012.
- Prior to the game, the Broncs honored their 11 seniors – Sam Carter (Queens, NY/Archbishop Molloy [Loyola (Md.)]), Aaron Robinson (Lancaster, PA/Conestoga Valley), Andrew Crawford (Buffalo, NY/Williamsville South), Arthur Herpreck (Brest, France/West Brittany), Juan Carlos Garcia Gomez (Madrid, Spain/Universidad Francisco de Vitoria), Emmanuel Kouma (Paris, France/University of Paris), Sylvain Coco (Nimes, France/University of Montpellier), Zach Peterson (Mantua, NJ/West Deptford [LIU]), Jason Marczak (Waterford, PA/Fort Lebouf) and Dalton Wu (Medford, NJ/Shawnee) – during Senior Day ceremonies.
- Through 14 games this season, Rider has not had consecutive wins, losses or ties.
- The Broncs return to action Wednesday, when they travel to Iona for a 3 p.m. kickoff.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Bay’s goal was the first of his Rider career.
- Gatinois made six saves in defeat.
- The assist was the first of the year for Aguinaga and the fifth of his Rider career.
- Gomez Olano now has three assists this season.
- Marist took a 15-6 edge in shots, including an 8-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Red Foxes also took a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.