LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ – Marco Torino scored the game-winning goal in the 71st minute as Saint Peter’s defeated the Rider University men’s soccer team, 1-0, Wednesday afternoon on Ben Cohen Field. With the loss, the Broncs slip to 5-9-1 (4-4-0 MAAC), while the Peacocks are now 8-6-2 (5-2-1 MAAC).
The Broncs cleared the ball from their defensive third in the 71st minute, but Jamie Davis was near the midfield stripe to head it back to Torino near the top of the 18-yard box. Torino then shot inside the left post to beat Rider goalkeeper Pablo Gatinois (Madrid, Spain/Lycee Francais de Madrid [Oregon State]) with the game’s lone goal.
Quotes and Notes
“It was disappointing. It’s not like we played horribly. But we seemed to be just lacking a bit of energy. I don’t know why. We were down in their end enough to score a goal. This is kind of is what happens sometimes when you’re pressing numbers forward and you get caught a bit in the back. We still shouldn’t have conceded that goal. But there’s still life and still hope and we’ve still got a shot. But we’ve got to do better than we did tonight on Saturday and we’ve got to go up and win a game in Buffalo.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- Saint Peter’s cut Rider’s lead in the all-time series to 24-13-1. The Broncs are now 4-3-1 against the Peacocks under Inverso.
- Rider is now tied for sixth in the MAAC with Manhattan. Six teams will earn berths in the MAAC Championship.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Gatinois made two saves for the Broncs.
- Rider took 12 shots to the Peacocks’ 10, including a 5-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- Both teams took two corner kicks.