Published: October 20, 2015
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Rutgers men’s soccer team’s win streak continued on Tuesday night as the Scarlet Knights won their fifth-straight with a 2-0 victory at Army West Point. Sophomore Jason Wright (Kingston, Jamaica) poured in his 12th goal of the season and classmate Brandon Tetro (Freehold, N.J.) added in his first tally of the year to give RU its longest win streak since the 2006 campaign.
The win improved RU to 9-4-1 overall as they closed out a four-game road trip and head into a matchup with current Big Ten standings leader, Ohio State, on Sunday. Army West Point, meanwhile, dropped to 3-5-4 on the season.
“It was a great win against a very difficult Army team that works hard from beginning to end,” said head coach Dan Donigan. “Jason (Wright) got us onto the scoreboard on a counter and then we did a great job managing the game from there. Our second goal was one of the nicest goals I’ve seen all season. It was a great build up along with right side with nine or ten passes. Army is a well-coached, well-disciplined team which makes us feel that much better about getting another win on the road.”
Wright put the Scarlet Knights onto the scoreboard in the 20th minute, immediately striking after the Black Knights had a look at the RU net. Tommy Jaeger took a free kick along the right side of the 18. He directed his kick to Tanner Vosvick at the top of the 18, who then fired on the RU net, but was blocked. Goalkeeper David Greczek (Fairfield, N.J.) then took a kick deep into Army West Point territory, finding Wright racing towards goal. The Big Ten’s leading scorer eluded the Black Knight defense and pulled out Army keeper Chris Brit, who tried to make a diving stop but missed, allowing Wright an open look on goal six yards out.
Tetro put in the insurance goal and his first career score in the second half. In the 56th minute of action, off a build up from the right side of the field, the ball got its way freshman Brian Hawkins (Chesterfield, N.J.). Hawkins slid the ball to his right from a top the 18 to find Tetro making his way into the box to beat the Black Knight keeper into the back of the net.
Greczek ended the night with two saves as the Rutgers defense racked up its fifth shutout of the season. The junior netminder came up with a huge save in the 72nd minute to preserve the clean sheet with a point-blank save on a Tommy Jaeger shot right on the net.
His counterpart, Chris Britt, made four saves in the loss as Rutgers outshot the Black Knights, 13-9.
“Greczek is stepping up for us big time, especially coming up with another huge save to get the shutout,” added Donigan. “Our back four, along with Mitchell Taintor and Sheldon Mckoy were also big for us tonight in getting the win.”
The Rutgers men’s soccer team returns to Big Ten action on Sunday, Oct. 25 at 1 p.m. The second place Scarlet Knights take on first place Ohio State on BTN. The Scarlet Knight seniors will be honored prior to kick off with the Buckeyes.
- Prior to the current win streak, RU last collected five-straight wins in 2006. That season the Scarlet Knights finished at 10-6-3 overall, reached the semifinals of the BIG East Tournament and earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- With six points against the Black Knights, the Rutgers men’s soccer team has collected 100 points on the season. The Scarlet Knights have racked up 34 goals and 32 assists on the year.
- Jason Wright surpassed his point total from his freshman year. The Kingston, Jamaica product collected 25 points (10G, 5A) in 2014 over the course of 19 games and now has 27 points (12G, 3A) in 2015 in 14 contests.
- David Greczek earned the assist on Wright’s game-winning goal. It was Greczek’s second career assist having also recorded a helper in a 3-0 victory over Princeton in his freshman season in 2013.
- Greczek logged his fifth shutout of the season and 12th of his career.
- Brandon Tetro scored his first career goal. On the year, 11 different Scarlet Knights have found the back of opponent’s nets.
- Brian Hawkins registered his third assist of the season and now has seven points (2G, 3A) in his rookie season “On The Banks”.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersMensSoccer) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUMensSoccer) for all of the latest news and updates. Fans also receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.