Text size

Second-half goals help Texas knock off Griz

Published: September 7, 2014
Texas broke a 0-0 deadlock on a penalty kick in the 67th minute and the Longhorns added an insurance goal in the final seconds to defeat Montana 2-0 Sunday night at Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas. The win kept Texas (4-0-2) unbeaten on the season and was the Longhorns’ 13th straight home match without a loss. The Grizzlies, who were playing their sixth straight road match to open the season, dropped back to .500 at 3-3-0. “It’s always disappointing when you don’t get a result, but I couldn’t be more proud of how the team performed tonight, the effort we gave and how we played,” said UM coach Mark Plakorus. Montana was shut out for the third time this season, but the Grizzlies had their chances against the Longhorns, especially in the first half. Just 92 seconds into the match junior Mackenzie Akins put a shot off the crossbar. Later in the first half redshirt sophomore Savannah Witt hit the post. “I really thought we came out early and showed we could play with them. We did some really good things and created a couple of quality chances,” said Plakorus. “They knew they were in a game right from the get-go. “If we could have jumped on them early like that, it would have put a little pressure on them, but they are a very good team, and we knew they were going to keep coming at us.” Texas, which had scored 11 goals in its previous two games, against Nevada and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, came out strong to open the second half. The Longhorns took eight shots in the first 20 minutes of the half and drew a penalty kick when a Texas player was taken down a step inside the 18-yard box. Brooke Gilbert took the penalty kick for the Longhorns and beat Griz sophomore goalkeeper Kailey Norman low for her fourth goal of the season. “They came out in the second half really pushing to get a goal, but I thought we held up pretty well,” said Plakorus. “The kids were playing as hard as they could. It was unfortunate that that’s the thing that happened that gave them their chance to score.” Montana came back less than three minutes later, and Akins put a shot on goal. The Grizzlies also created a corner kick, but those would be their final quality chances of the night. Chantale Campbell scored her second goal of the season with less than a minute remaining when her shot from almost 30 yards out got past Norman, who faced 23 shots, but only six of which were on goal. “Even though they had a lot of shots, they weren’t point-blank shots, and Kailey handled most of them pretty routinely. Our back line did a nice job of keeping everything in front of them,” said Plakorus. Montana took six shots in the match, with Akins putting two on goal. It was the Grizzlies’ third loss on a Sunday after three Friday wins, but it was their best second-match effort of the young season. “This was the best Sunday match we’ve played thus far, and the girls were very disappointed,” said Plakorus. “There were tears in their eyes after the match, because they knew this was a game we were in.” Montana will play at Missouri next Friday evening in the Grizzlies’ final nonconference road match of the regular season. It will be Montana’s only match next weekend. The Grizzlies play their first home match against Colorado State on Friday, Sept. 19.
Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2020 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.