No Top 25 games today - Click to view all scores
Text size

Stony Brook Tops Northeastern, 1-0

Published: September 28, 2013

Box Score  | Season Stats

BROOKLINE, Mass. – After falling behind on a 66th minute goal, the Northeastern men's soccer team (3-4-3) threw everything it had at Stony Brook, but could not net the equalizer as the Seawolves topped the Huskies on Saturday night at Parsons Field, 1-0.

NU held a slight 12-10 edge in shots during an evenly played match that saw the Huskies earn nine corners to SBU's six. Sophomore goalkeeper Dylan Faber made three saves in net for Northeastern while Stony Brook's Carlos Villa also had three stops.

The Huskies came out of the gates aggressively in the first half, pressuring the SBU defenders and creating several scoring chances early on. Dante Marini got things going for Northeastern in the sixth minute when he took a long pass and went on a run into the middle of the field. Once he entered the box, a defender knocked him off the ball, and Marc Greenblatt followed for a shot that went over the crossbar. One minute later, Mike Lobben challenged a Stony Brook defender in the attacking third, resulting in consecutive corner kick opportunities for NU.

Marini continued to work hard into the middle of the half, taking the ball down the left side of the pitch before sending a cross into the box to Robbie Schallmo. Schallmo's shot, however, was handled by SBU goalkeeper Carlos Villa. Shallmo had another bid in the 19th minute when he sent a corner into the box to a waiting Conner Alexander near the cage, but the senior's header was just off the mark.

The Seawolves started to turn things in their favor in the 24th minute of play, forcing the Huskies into turnovers in their own end of the field, resulting in a blocked shot from Martin Giordano and a corner kick soon after.

Marini, along with Donovan Fayd'Herbe de Maudave, continued to create chances for the Huskies into the second half. In the 57th minute, Marini fired a shot from the box that went just wide, before Fayd'Herbe de Maudave's chance one minute later was blocked.

The duo nearly connected seven minutes later when Marini sped up to a loose ball along the left sideline before taking it downfield. Marini then sent it over to Fayd'Herbe de Maudave, who tried to enter the box, but took an extra touch before an SBU defender broke up the play. On the next sequence, Fayd'Herbe de Maudave took possession of the ball, made a quick move and sent it into the box looking for a teammate, but could not connect.

The Seawolves broke through in the 66th minute when SBU capitalized on a Northeastern turnover in its own end. When Faber tried to send a short pass upfield to Matt Callahan, the ball was intercepted by Martin Giordano. Giordano then raced down the field and sent a ball into the box, where Will Casey headed it past Faber and into the right side of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

NU turned up the heat following the Stony Brook tally, throwing everything they had on Villa and the Seawolves. At the other end, Faber kept the Huskies in the match with a diving save on Giordano in the 73rd minute.

Jonathan Eckford nearly knotted the score at one aside in the 80th minute when he sent a missile in on goal from 27 yards out, but Villa was able to get a fingertip on it and send it out of bounds. On the ensuing corner, Simon Cox tried to head one past Villa, but the attempt was blocked.

The Huskies will have a week off before beginning conference play on Sunday, Oct. 6 when Northeastern travels to James Madison for a 1 p.m. match.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1., 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.