Trine and Alma Play to Scoreless Tie
ALMA, Mich. - Almost a year to the day since their last scoreless draw, the Trine University men's soccer team played to a 0-0 draw with Alma College. The Thunder now stand at 4-5-1 on the season and 2-2-1 in the conference.
Alma out-shot the Thunder 9-7 in a first half that saw the two teams combine for six shots on net.
The Scots would again out-shoot Trine in the second half, this time 9-1, but the Thunder defense and sophomore goalie Chris Stewart (Rochester Hills, Mich./Rochester) held strong as the game went into overtime.
The first overtime wouldn't see much offense as Alma had the only shot on goal of the first 10 minute extra period.
Stewart earned his fifth shutout of the season between the posts while making seven saves.
Holcom led Trine with three shots, all coming on target. Junior Sam Seibolt (Olathe, Kan./DeSoto) notched two shots, both coming on goal.
For the match, Alma out-shot the Thunder 20-12.
The two sides also played to a 0-0 tie back on September 22, 2007 in Angola. Trine last played to a scoreless tie with Hope on September 24 of last season.
Trine will now travel to Hope on October 2 for a 7:00 p.m. game with the Flying Dutchmen.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: December 11-17
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Tracking Division I Coaching Changes
- Boys High School A-A Game Star Performers
- MLS NEXT Fest: Day 6 Standouts
- Girls High School A-A Game Star Performers
- College Cup: Men's Final Preview
- IMG Top Club Soccer Players: Girls 2024
- MLS Next Fest: Goal scorers From Day 5
- MLS Next Fest: Day 4 Standouts