U23 WNT standouts vs. Portland Thorns
Two second half goals secured a 2-1 win for the U.S. U23 Women’s National Team on Wednesday night against the Portland Thorns.
Competing in the second game of the Portland Thorns Invitational, goals from Michelle Xiao and Sophie Smith propelled the U.S. side to the narrow win at Providence Park.
It was a solid effort from B.J. Snow’s side, doing well to press the Thorns for pockets of the game and turn them over high up the pitch. That eventually led to the winning goal, when Smith forced a Portland mistake and scored the winner.
Starting eight college players and three club standouts, the U23s certainly provided a tough test for a Thorns side that rested a couple of its stalwarts.
Here are four of the standout U23 players from the win.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: Nov. 29-December 5
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Key players at the women’s College Cup
- Men’s Division I quarterfinal preview
- MLS Next Fest Preview: First of a kind
- TDS Girls Regional Rankings: Class of 2023
- Boys ECNL South Carolina preview
- Commitments: Staying in Connecticut
- ECNL Tennessee National Event preview
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s