UMKC Claims Share of SMU Invite Title

September 15, 2013

(Dallas, Texas) – The Kansas City men’s soccer squad got several firsts on Sunday night in the final game of the SMU Invitational, including a share of a tournament title with a 1-0 win over the hosts, finishing the weekend 1-0-1.

The ‘Roos (1-2-2) defeated SMU (1-5) for the first time ever, while posting their first win and shutout of the season as well. UMKC sophomore midfielder Derek Schrick also helped the squad to a win against his former team.

The Mustangs came out of the gates strong, taking the contests first six shots, but junior goalkeeper Chris McGaughey was up to the task, making four saves to keep the sheet clean. The ‘Roos started to turn things around in the 19th minute when sophomore Broc Cramer had a chance to score from 16 yards out off a feed from Jordan Rideout, but the shot curled wide.

The game was even for the next 10 minutes before Rideout put a shot on frame that was saved by SMU goalkeeper Jaime Ibarra. When Ibarra tried to play the ball out though, he mis-hit it down the middle of the field on the ground, right at the feet of junior forward Tato Chiaparro. He dribbled it right back to the goal, and finished the 1-on-1 opportunity from 15 yards out, making it 1-0 in the 30th minute. It was his second goal of the weekend.

The two squads played mainly in the midfield the rest of the half, and UMKC took the lead into the break. SMU had an 11-4 shot advantage in the period.

The second stanza saw very few opportunities for either team, but the first good one came from the Mustangs as Juan Castillo hit a shot from 20 out in the 52nd minute that struck the far post, but did not go in.

SMU never really had another great scoring opportunity as McGaughey was forced to make only two saves the rest of the match, and both were routine. The Mustangs had some crosses that went into the box, but the ‘Roos either cleared it, or let them roll out of bounds.

UMKC’s only good chance in the half came on a free kick in the 80th minute when Guerrero Pino got his head on a cross, but Ibarra made the save. The Kansas City defense was strong all night, and especially down the stretch, not allowing a single SMU shot in the final 14 minutes to salt the win away.

SMU had a 19-7 advantage in shots, but McGaughey posted the shutout with a career-best nine saves.

The ‘Roos tied No. 13 Tulsa on Friday night by a 1-1 score, while SMU defeated Hartwick 2-1. On Sunday, TU defeated Hartwick 3-2 in overtime prior to the ‘Roos contest.

Kansas City will come home this week for a Saturday night contest against Incarnate Word at 7:00 p.m. from Durwood Stadium.

Trending Videos
IMG Top 150 Rankings
see full ranking:
Boys Girls

College Rankings HQ