Viens Breaks Program Career Goal Record
MEMPHIS, Tenn., Oct. 14, 2018 – In the 47th minute, junior Evelyne Viens (Canada) netted her 42nd career goal to break the program record and give RV/No. 24 USF the lead over No. 15/18 Memphis (12-3-0, 4-2-0).
USF’s (10-2-0, 5-1-0) win marks the 10th win of the season, and the seventh consecutive season of 10 wins or more under head coach Denise Schilte-Brown.
Two of the top American Athletic Conference teams went scoreless in the first half as freshman keeper Sydney Martinez (Rincon, Ga.) had a career day with six saves in the first half, and 10 total. She set her new career high and reached double-digits for the first time. Martinez completed the Bulls’ fifth shutout, her second solo shutout.
Viens was elite in the match, scoring two goals against one of the nation’s top defenses who ranks second nationally in shutouts this season. Viens doubled USF’s lead with her fifth brace of the season when she scored in the 61st minute. She dribbled down the field and beat the keeper to the right. Viens is just two goals away from breaking the program record for goals in a season which she tied during her freshman campaign.
Head coach Denise Schilte-Brown on the win...
"The team battled very hard today in conditions that were not optimal. We are extremely proud of our freshman goalkeeper who played like a seasoned veteran. Evelyne gave everything she had to put us in the lead, and she did it with her team behind her all the way."
Evelyne Viens on breaking the record…
“I’m feeling good about beating an old team record, but today is all about getting these three points on the road against a good team like Memphis. We had a good second half, and going back home with two wins is the most important thing.”
43 – Viens broke the record for career goals at USF and added one for good measure
- The Bulls have outscored opponents this season, 37-8
- Viens is just two goals away from breaking the USF record for goals in a season, set at 16 and tied by Viens during her freshman season
- The Bulls are now tied with UCF for the top of the conference standings, each with fifteen points
- USF extended its win streak to four games
USF returns to Corbett for the remainder of the regular season. Next weekend USF will host SMU and Houston who are both coming off a bye week. USF will play the Cougars on Thursday at 7 p.m., and the Mustangs at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
About USF Women's Soccer
Be sure to follow USF women's soccer on social media (Twitter / Instagram/Facebook) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information.
The USF women's soccer team has posted six consecutive seasons of 10-plus wins and eight in the last nine years under head coach Denise Schilte-Brown. The Bulls made their first NCAA tournament appearance in 2010 and returned in 2014, 2015 and 2017.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: October 18-24
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Gonzalo Segares named U17 MNT head coach
- YNT Regional ID - San Jose 05/06
- New No. 1 in men's DI Top 25 rankings
- IMG Academy player rankings update recap
- Commitments: Heading south
- TDS Women's Division I Top 25: October 18
- Men's Midseason Top 100 update released
- Kentucky fires women’s soccer coach
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s