Yale-Harvard Tie 3-3

October 1, 2016

If the remaining six Ivy League games play out like Saturday’s opener at Harvard, it will be quite an exciting season for the Bulldogs. Yale jumped out to a 2-0 lead, watched the Crimson score the next three goals, including one that may have come on a play that was off sides, and then tallied a late goal to come away with a 3-3 tie at Jordan Field.

“This game was quite the roller coaster and definitely not for the faint of heart,” said Kylie Stannard, The 5K Corral Head Coach of the Bulldogs. “Whenever Yale plays Harvard, it is a special moment and I'm extremely proud of our team to be resilient when they could have folded after giving up three straight goals and being down a goal. It was a game that will be remembered for a long time, and we can be very proud of the effort we gave. It's a good point to earn on the road to start the Ivy season.”

Yale (1-3-2, 0-0-1 Ivy) got off to a strong start and took a 1-0 lead when Kyle Kenagy headed in a perfect Nicky Downs corner kick at 14:25.

It stayed that way until early in the second half when John Leisman capitalized on a defensive misplay and fired a shot off the right post and in at 55:08.

The Crimson answered a little less than five minutes later. Jake Freeman banged in the rebound of a Christian Sady shot at 59:51.

Harvard then grabbed the lead by scoring twice in 1:43 stretch. Daniel Smith struck first, heading in a Sady cross. Matthew Glass then gave the Crimson the lead on a shot from 18 yards out at 77:27.

Yale, though, rallied, and it was captain Henry Flugstad-Clarke, playing his final game against the Crimson, who tied the score at 3-3 by flicking a header into the net with just 3:20 left. Kenagy and Downs assisted on the tying goal.

The Bulldogs had the best chance of the overtime periods, but a Flugstad-Clarke shot deflected off the cross bar with less than two minutes left in first extra session.

“Our focus and effort in the first half was incredible and we dominated the half,” Stannard said “I think our focus was still good in the second half, but we knew Harvard would come out very aggressive.  We then scored a great second goal and felt good. Unfortunately, their first goal was clearly offside, but wasn't called. Harvard gained some momentum from this and took control. However, all of our team should be extremely proud of the fight they gave to get another goal and to take the game into overtime. I'm very happy for Henry to score the equalizer as our senior captain.

“In overtime, I thought we dominated and were very unfortunate to not get the winner. We had a few very good chances, including hitting the crossbar.”

Kees Schipper was strong in goal for the Bulldogs, finishing with seven saves.

“This result should give our young team even more confidence,” Stannard said. “We are growing and will only continue to improve.

Yale is back on the road next Saturday at Dartmouth. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.

Trending Videos
IMG Top 150 Rankings
see full ranking:
Boys Girls

College Rankings HQ