WILMINGTON, N.C. – Goals from sophomore Hannah Rosenblatt and junior Kayla Cappuzzo propelled a shorthanded Northeastern women's soccer team (7-5-1, 2-1-0 CAA) to a gutsy 2-1 victory over UNCW (6-3-2, 0-1-1 CAA) on Friday evening at the UNCW Soccer Stadium.
Rosenblatt opened the scoring with her team-leading fifth goal of the season in the 20th minute, before Moa Jarl equalized for the Seahawks on the cusp of halftime.
Then, just minutes into the second half, senior Skylar LeBlanc was shown a red card for pulling down a UNCW forward on a breakaway, reducing Northeastern to 10 players for the remainder of the match. Despite the numerical disadvantage, the visitors were able to push back ahead for good just eight minutes later when Cappuzzo deposited her fourth goal of the year to make it 2-1 NU.
The Huskies then defended bravely for the final 40 minutes as UNCW peppered the Northeastern net to no avail. Sophomore goalkeeper Nathalie Nidetch finished with seven saves as the Seahawks held an 8-3 margin in shots on target.
• Rosenblatt opened the scoring at 19:53 when she ripped a shot home from 17 yards out to make it 1-0 Huskies.
• The Seahawks leveled the scoreline with three seconds remaining in the first half when Jarl converted a Brittany Cline corner kick to beat the buzzer.
• Cappuzzo produced the eventual game-winner at 51:22 when she poked home a loose ball from 13 yards out.
• With the win, Northeastern pulls into a four-way tie for first place in the CAA standings with six points, joining Drexel, Delaware and Towson at 2-1-0.
• Cappuzzo netted her third game-winner of the season, tying Rosenblatt for the team lead.
• Northeastern improved to 12-0-0 all-time when Cappuzzo scores a goal.
• Rosenblatt netted her fifth goal of the season and scored for the second straight game.
• NU earned its fourth straight win over UNCW.
The Huskies will look to close out the weekend strong when they travel to the College of Charleston on Sunday for a 1 p.m. kickoff.