Bulls Top Tulsa 3-2 in Overtime Thriller
TAMPA, Fla, Sept. 29, 2018- The USF men’s soccer team defeated Tulsa 3-2 in double overtime, led by two goals from Tomasz Skublak (Ontario, Canada) and Josue Monge (Philadelphia) in front of more than 800 fans at Corbett Stadium on Saturday night.
USF earned the win over American Athletic Conference foe with Skublak’s golden goal in the 103rdminute, sealing the exciting match for the Bulls and extending their unbeaten streak to three games and their unbeaten streak at Corbett Stadium to three games.
USF and Tulsa were knotted up in a tight match until Tulsa’s Joe Ruiz pounced on a loose ball by setting up Miguel Velazquez who scored the first goal for Tulsa with a right-footed shot.
The Bulls started the second half strong and found their equalizer in the 62ndminute. Skublak headed in a perfectly placed cross from teammate Adrian Billhardt (Berlin, Germany) for his first goal of the night.
Only seven minutes later, USF would take the lead when Freddy Gil (West Palm Beach, Fla.), stationed on the left flank, sent a low-lying cross into the box that was flicked by Jonathan Rosales to Monge, who finished with a left-footed shot past Tulsa’s keeper.
Trouble came for USF when with just seconds remaining, Tulsa found their equalizer in the dying moments of the game with a 90thminute goal. Tulsa’s Joe Ruiz headed in teammate Miguel Velasquez’ corner kick.
USF’s energy was palpable in the overtime period, and the Bulls got off three shots in the first overtime, and held Tulsa to zero shots Just two minutes and five seconds into the second overtime period the Bulls finished things quickly when Skublak latched onto Emilio Ycaza’s (St. Petersburg, Fla.) through ball and slotted the ball past the Tulsa keeper to give the Bulls the hard-fought victory and earning his first brace of the season.
In the hot offensive matchup, USF had a total of 22 shots with eight on goal and Tulsa had 18 shots with nine on goal.
Harrison Devenish-Meares (Sydney, Australia) was pivotal for the Bulls on the night, as he recorded a total of seven saves.
“We started off with some really tough games with a majority of them being on the road,” head coach Bob Butehorn said. “We’ve learned a lot from our lessons on winning and losing, and it showed tonight.”
· The Bulls have now scored two or more goals in their last five matches.
· In the last five matches, USF is 4-1-1, and has won their last three matches, and their last three matches at Corbett Stadium.
· With his two goals on the night, Skublak is now the Bulls leading goal scorer with four on the season.
· The win against Tulsa is the Bulls’ first conference win of the season, but the Bulls are undefeated in the conference after tying UConn in the American opener.
The Bulls hit the road to face the SMU Mustangs on Saturday Oct 6, at 8 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the American Digital Network.
About USF Men’s Soccer
The Bulls concluded the 2017 regular season with a 6-6-4 overall record and finished fifth in the American Athletic Conference with a 3-2-2 mark. Head Coach Bob Butehorn leads the Bulls in his second season at the helm in 2018. Sophomore Adrian Bilhardt was added to the preseason all-conference team.
– #GoBulls –
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: August 8-14
- 2022 DI College Soccer Preview Content
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- College Players Abound on U20 WC Rosters
- U15 GNT Wins CONCACAF Championship
- U20 World Cup Players to Watch
- DPL Announces New Player ID Platform
- USA Advances to U15 CONCACAF Title Game
- New Men's DI College Coaches to Know
- Recruiting Views: Sun Belt, CAA Adds
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s