Dayton Draws With ETSU In Season Opener
DAYTON, Ohio – The University of Dayton men’s soccer team came from behind and tied East Tennessee State in the season opener Friday at Baujan Field.
The Flyers (0-0-1) battled back from an early deficit to draw with the Bucs (0-0-1) who finished last season as the No. 33 team in the RPI and an NCAA Tournament participant. They were picked to win the SoCon title this year as well.
- The Flyers got their lone goal from Icelandic freshman Thor Helgason, who opened his Dayton account.
- Sophomore midfielder Rok Taneski recorded his first assist of the season, going with his team-high six assists from last year. He also led the team with three shots Friday.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Federico Barrios had a career-high nine saves in a standout performance.
- There were five cautions given out in the game, two yellows and a red for Dayton, and two yellows for ETSU.
- The Bucs outshot the Flyers 14-8
- “I thought the guys came out a little slow in the first half. ETSU got on top of us kind of early, but once we went a man down, we woke up and put together some really good soccer. We put some chances on goal. Thor did great getting the goal. We had a couple chances to win it. Ultimately, I was happy with the fight of the team”
- The Flyers will head to Fort Wayne for their first road game of the season against the Mastodons on Sunday at 4 p.m.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 23-29
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- MLS Next Pro is Drawing College Stars
- Girls Club Standouts: May 21-22
- MLS Next Flex Under-19 Best XI
- 2022 Girls IMG Academy Player Rankings
- Commitments: Heading to the ACC
- MLS Next Flex Under-17 Best XI
- Big 12 Women's Breakout Players to Know
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s