Published: August 23, 2017
Boston College lost to William & Mary (2-0), 3-1, on Sunday afternoon at the JMU Tournament in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The Eagles won the first game of the tournament, 4-3, in overtime against JMU on Friday night. BC (1-1) will now host Vanderbilt on Friday, Aug. 25 (7 p.m.)..
HOW IT HAPPENED
- William & Mary scored first as Sarah Segan found the back of the goal in the 27th minute of play.
- In the 58th minute of play, Rachel Moore scored her first goal of the season as the Tribe went up 2-0 in the match. The lead grew to three goals when Sami Grasso scored in the 83rd minute.
- BC finally broke through as sophomore Olivia Vaughn scored off a deflection in the box to cut the William & Mary lead to two goals, 3-1. Vaughn now has three goals in two games.
BY THE NUMBERS
Shots: BC 9, WM 13
Shots on Goal: BC 4, WM 3
Saves: BC 0, WM 3
Corner Kicks: BC 11, WM 3
- BC started four freshman – Mijke Roelfsema, Jillian Jennings, Sam Coffey & Gianna Mitchell. The Eagles also started three sophomores – Jenna Bike, Olivia Vaughnand Francesca Venezia. Venezia earned her first career start.
- Only field players – Allyson Swaby, Lauren Bermand and Kayla Jennings – played the full 90 minutes.
- Sophomore Olivia Vaughn has three goals in two games. Vaughn, a native of Montclair, New Jersey, scored five goals as a rookie in 2016.
-BC will host Vanderbilt on Friday, August 25 at the Newton Soccer Field at 7 p.m.