Fairfield Shuts Out Saints
Ben Wignall scored early and Steven Valente added an insurance goal late as Fairfield shut out Siena Soccer 2-0 in Connecticut. Junior goalkeeper Ryan Vyskocil made one save for the Saints.
The teams combined for just 11 shots, with Siena (4-8-2, 3-3) harboring a slim 6-5 advantage. The Saints took all five corner attempts of the match.
But Fairfield (4-4-4, 3-2) made the most of its few opportunities. In the fourth minute, Justin Lewis’ shot hit the crossbar, but Wignall raced in to finish the rebound.
With the Saints searching for the equalizer late in the second half, the Stags put things out of reach. In the 82nd minute Lewis fed Valente who converted a long strike to put Fairfield up by two scores.
Sophomore striker Alexander Tejera and junior midfielder J.C. Obregon paced the Saints offensively with two markers apiece.
Matt Turner made three saves to record the shutout for Fairfield.
The Saints return to action Saturday when they host Iona for Senior Day at 1 p.m. The program will honor its senior class in a special ceremony just prior to kickoff.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: August 8-14
- 2022 DI College Soccer Preview Content
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- College Players Abound on U20 WC Rosters
- U15 GNT Wins CONCACAF Championship
- U20 World Cup Players to Watch
- DPL Announces New Player ID Platform
- USA Advances to U15 CONCACAF Title Game
- New Men's DI College Coaches to Know
- Recruiting Views: Sun Belt, CAA Adds
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s