North Texas freshman Rachel Holden followed up her Friday hat trick with the game-winner in Sunday’s home opener – a 1-0 victory over Houston Baptist.
Holden emerged from a scrum in the left corner and blasted a ball past the HBU keeper into the back-post netting. Her fourth goal in two games this season, the tally in the 36th minute helped awaken a Mean Green squad that was out-shot 13-10 in the opening frame.
NT posted a 13-2 shot advantage in the second frame and controlled the pace of the game.
Keeper Jackie Kerestine kept the Huskies at bay in the physical first half thanks to a pair of key saves. The outing was Kerestine’s 17th career shutout, which moves her into sole possession of second place in school history in the category.
North Texas returns to action next weekend in Winston Salem, N.C., where they will face No. 15 Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- Rachel Holden netted her 4th goal of the season in just her second career game.
- This was the first ever meeting between HBU and North Texas.
- North Texas moves to 2-0 on the season. NT has gotten off to a 2-0 record in eight of the last nine seasons.
- Lynda Hercules assisted on Rachel Holden’s goal, which gives the senior five points this year already (2 goals, 1 assist). Hercules entered the year with a total of six career points between her two years at BYU and the 2012 season at North Texas.
- Jackie Kerestine recorded nine saves on the day, which upped her career total to 170 (6th in school history. Her career record improved to 31-8-5, which are the third most wins in NT history.