Text size

Keydets Fall to Mount, 4-0

Article Written by VMI Athletic Communication
Published: September 14, 2012

EMMITSBURG, Md. – The Mountaineers of Mount St. Mary’s saw Kelly Baker score two goals just over eight minutes apart in the first half, breaking a scoreless tie and sending her squad to a 4-0 win over the VMI Keydets in women’s soccer action Friday night in Emmitsburg, Md.

Baker opened the scoring for Mount St. Mary’s (4-3) by taking advantage of a rebound in the 23rd minute. Teammate Andrea Bujacich fired a shot at VMI (1-4) goalie Mackenzie Harrmann, which was stopped, but the rebound came free to Baker for the putaway and a 1-0 MSM lead. Baker added a penalty kick goal in the 31st minute, and the home team added goals in the 45th and 71st minutes to round out the scoring.

The Keydet efforts were led by their goaltending, as Harrmann posted three saves in the first half before being relieved by Kirsten Hancock, who stopped six shots over the final 45 minutes.

The Mount had three shots in the first seven minutes of Friday’s action, but did not muster a shot on goal until the 20th minute, when Harrmann stopped a Jackie Corley try. The next SOG was Bujacich’s try from 20 yards out, the rebound of which was put home by Baker for the game’s first goal, and a 1-0 Mount lead.

The next eight minutes were played in the midfield, until the 31st minute when Baker was fouled in the box. She put home the resultant penalty kick try to increase the home team’s lead to 2-0.

The Keydets would counter with an Allie Segura shot on goal in the 32nd minute, but MSM keeper Rachel Bourne made the save to maintain the 2-0 edge. Harrmann would stop a Paige Peck try two minutes later, but off a double assist, Keriann McGettigan would increase that lead. In the final minute of the first half, Kate Murphy played a ball into the box which was headed by Melissa Rowen. Rowen’s header went across the box and found McGettigan, who beat Harrmann for the goal and a 3-0 Mount lead at halftime.

Hancock relieved Harrmann to open the second half, and would stop three shots over the first 3:16 of action. She would go on to stop six total shots, but the home team added their final goal in the 61st minute. Sam Manson scored off an assist from Carly Deegan to cap the scoring.

Mount St. Mary’s held a 26-1 edge in shots, as well as an 8-1 edge in corner kicks on the evening.

VMI women’s soccer returns to action Sunday, taking on Navy in Annapolis, Md. Game time is set for 2 p.m.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.