AUSTIN, Texas – Senior midfielder Viktoria Malmros helped the No. 6-ranked St. Edward’s University women’s soccer team improve to 3-0 overall and 1-0 in the Heartland Conference Wednesday as the Hilltoppers took down Dallas Baptist University, 1-0, at Lewis-Chen Family Field.
Malmros scored the only goal of the game in the 12’ off of an assist from sophomore India Wentz. A diagonal pass from Wentz went to open space on the left side of the 18-yard box. Malmros ran onto the pass and tapped it passed the Patriot goalkeeper and just out of reach of a DBU defender attempting to clear the ball.
The Hilltoppers only recorded one other shot in the first half and finished with four in the game. Dallas Baptist came on the attack with nine shots and four on goal – all stopped by SEU goalkeeper Ocoee Wilson as St. Edward’s recorded its third-straight shutout victory.
· Malmros’ goal is her first since 2014 and marks her second career tally.
· The Malmo, Sweden, native is three shots shy of 20 career attempts with a shot-on-goal percentage of .411
· Wilson, a sophomore transfer from DBU, has three shutouts in her first three starts in a Hilltopper uniform.
· The Steamboat Springs, Colo., native is six saves shy of 20 career stops.
· Freshman midfielder Elianna Chavez came off the bench to record the third shot of her career.
· Chavez has recorded a shot in each of her first three games.
· Kelly Andrus notched an attempt, putting her four shots shy of 50 in her career
· Wentz’ assist put her at 15 for her career.
· Head Coach Nick Cowell sits six wins shy of 400 career victories.
· Cowell is 394-120-37 overall and 176-34-16 at St. Edward’s.
STAT OF THE GAME I
4 – Saves by Wilson to claim her third-straight shutout.
STAT OF THE GAME II
60 – Wednesday marked the 60th game of senior Whytneigh Duffie’s career.
Head Coach Nick Cowell on opening the season with a third-straight 1-0 victory…
“We had a game plan and I thought the team really played to that plan, and that’s where the goal came from – one of the diagonal balls got behind their defense and we got on the end of it and scored the only goal. Once we’re up 1-0, we’re a tough team to break down.”
Head Coach Nick Cowell on Ocoee Wilson playing her former team…
“I think she’s just here – she’s part of our team now and that was just part of her past. She’s just happy to be on a winning team. (Ocoee) is a winner - she likes towin and I think she’ll let you know that she’ll put it down to the defensive people she has in front of her, as well as the stuff she’s doing herself.”
The Hilltoppers host No. 11-ranked Texas A&M-Commerce Sunday at 1 p.m. at Lewis-Chen Family Field on The Hilltop. Live stats and video will be available at GoHilltoppers.com. The SEU Athletics marketing team will also be hosting a Rasin’ Canes Challenge.
Follow St. Edward’s Women’s Soccer all season long on Twitter and Instagram using the handle @SEUWSoccer